Death Leaves 71 GT 429 Cobra Jet for Sale

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by Jeff M, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

We live in Los Angeles and are bringing a 1971 Ranchero GT from Las Vegas back to our house. The car belonged to my father in law who died last weekend.

The VIN is 1A48C160527. The original 429 Cobra Jet was rebuilt as well as the matching original trans. Will have pics soon but car is a restoration project. I don't think there is rust. There is a second engine but no details today. Clean title and keys

Anyone with interest please call me on cell. I would like to find a buyer or restoration company soon.

Jeff 310-936-2447

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss.

3. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

Thx. He got 90 years.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry for your loss.

Is the Ranchero running?

5. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Best 2 years for 429

6. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

I still need to get more pictures of the car. The engine does match the car. The VIN is 1A48C160527 and the block number is 1A160527. The heads are DOOE-R and the intake is DOOE-9425-D. This engine was rebuilt by Bill Scotten who made his name with race boats. He stamped SCOTTEN on the block. I do have the original C6 trans but have not looked for the numbers yet. We found a ton of parts in boxes; badges, trim, front headlight covers, rear bumper and more. The car has not been running for several years. There is another engine/trans in the Ranchero right now and I don't know what they are. The original rebuilt 429 CJ and C6 trans were never put back in the car. The engine has been covered and on an engine stand in his garage along with the covered C6 trans. Pics show the matching engine number, heads, intake. I found 4 carbs including 3 Holley carbs and 1 Rochester Quadrajet. I will post more pics of trans asap along with all parts spread out to show in pics and more pics of car once the rain ends and Turkey Day is over. I am running a growing business and am really stretched for time.
    -Ranchero on trailer.jpg -Pass door.jpg -Inside mess.jpg - Ranchero DS.jpg Block ID.jpg Heads.jpg manifold.jpg Timing cover.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

The last picture with the E6TE-6059-AA, is that in the car or on the rebuilt engine?

8. Gary Gray

Gary Gray In First Gear

Jeff,
    Sorry for the loss to the family.
    Good luck with the sale,
    Gary

Rods N Restos likes this.
  9. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss. Love the car, any idea what you're trying to get out of it?

10. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

All of the engine pics are from the original 429 CJ that was rebuilt and was never put back in the car. This engine is currently in my garage in Pasadena CA on an engine stand. The C6 trans was also rebuilt and never put back in the car. I will get pics of the C6 soon. This is also in my garage. While the engine and trans were being rebuilt, my father in law put another engine/trans into the car to drive. I have not yet taken a good look at those.

My intentions are to sell the car, both engines, both transmissions, 3 Holley carbs, the Rochester Quadrajet carb and all of the many parts to one buyer. I am still trying to understand the fair value of the Ranchero. I only verified the engine last night, and still need to verify the trans. I also want to get all the parts laid out and take pics. Any advice on the value would be appreciated. Any interested buyer can certainly discuss directly with me. I expect that I will sell the car for very good price but not a "give away" price once I know more. I'm not planning on getting top dollar. I don't have the time or space to hold out for months to get the best price. Call me at 310-936-2447 Jeff

11. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Jeff, curious if it has factory AC? Love the color (calypso coral, my favorite). Seats don't look factory, but I'm no expert, so they could be. The sheet metal looks very straight. Someone could be in for a double bonus, depending on what's under the hood.

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

the last picture is a timing cover from a 86 or later 460

13. 72GTVA

I know. I just wanted to know if it was on the engine in the car or on the rebuilt 429 CJ. FWIW, it's engineering number indicates a 1986 truck engine.

14. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Not a big deal, but the seats are not original.

15. Rods N Restos

That Ranchero in the condition I see plus the Original CJ and C6 rebuilt in my book is $15,000 car all day long.
    Calypso Coaral is desirable color and bet a good buffing and wax it will shine like new.
    Just the engine rebuild alone should cost $5000 done by a Professional Ranchero.C6 rebuild is about $650-800 depending on what was done.

I would call a mobile detailer,have them clean the interior,clean under the hood and buff the paint and give it coat of wax as that Ranchero looks solid as can be as is California cars which get top dollar cause of their rust free nature.
    If you had time to have original motor and trans installed it would be worth alot more but most buyers of these have the means to do it themself or pay a mechanic.

What you have is very solid.
    I would send away for at least a Deluxe Marti Report as it will tell you how many built with 429 CJ and C6 what options it was built with and when is was scheduled to be built and when it actually was built and when it was sold by what Ford Dealer.
    www.martiauto.com
    You will find out how rare that Ranchero is and that should reflect in what it's worth as anyone buying is gonna try to get it for a bargain.
    I have absolutely no interest in it as I like 72's but I do have a clue what the 70-71's are worth as I have a Torino,Gran Torino Ranchero Facebook group since 2013 and have members with 70-71 Torino Cobras with 429 CJ or 429 SCJ J code Drag Pak 4 speed which are the Holy Grail of Torino/Ranchero and are the Big Dollar cars.
    The Twister Specials are the Most rare out of them all and were all painted Calypso Coral from the factory.

I wouldn't take a penny less then $15K but it might be worth even more ,even without original seats.

That original numbers matching plus rebuilt engine and trans is your gold mine right there.
    That alone is worth $8-10K and having the Rust free body with clean title should be worth another $8-10K as I see what they sell project cars for $7000-9000 and what you have is far from a project as it needs no bodywork that I can see in photos and just needs paint polished and the numbers matching drivetrain put back in which for me would be a weekend job and a week to have it all dialed in and cleaned and polished ready for sale

16. Rods N Restos

If your on Facebook and interested in Joining here is link to my group and I know of two good 70-71 Torino,Fairlane & Ranchero groups that you might find a buyer that will pay you what it's really worth.
    Here is my group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968to79FoMoCoClub/

BTW ,I'm also Jeff M and us Jeff's look out for 1 another.
    If I can help with any questions or info feel free to ask but a Deluxe Marti Report will tell you alot.
    You can even spend an extra $60 for the Personalized Statistics that break it down to how close to a 1 of vehicle it is

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  17. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

Thanks very much for the extended details and advice. You guys really do have a great group of people on this forum. I will add more pics over the weekend. The car is covered with a tarp right now due to rain. I will order the Marti tomorrow.

18. Jeff M

Jeff M In First Gear

19. 72GTVA

20. Gary Gray

Gary Gray In First Gear

Jeff,
    Looks like you have your ducks in a row, nice job. Good luck with the sale. I think it should happen quickly.
    Gary