Death Leaves 71 GT 429 Cobra Jet for Sale

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by Jeff M, Nov 22, 2019.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I really hope he gets $15K for it, because that means ours are worth more than I thought.

2. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Now that I see more photos of it $15K might be a little high on asking price.
    It says color was Code 3 Bright Red on Marti Report and know colors look different when they are sun faded but by looks of driver side top fender and bed it has had a repaint and color sorta looks like Calypso Coral but either way it needs total Restoration which is very expensive and the motor looks like it's been sitting for years so might need a tear down again to check the internals at least resealed with new gaskets depending on what it looks like internally.
    Body would need to be stripped if it has been repainted as it's not good to paint over that old paint with today's modern paints.
    It's almost better if the engine was not in it as now you have the time or expense of yanking out the donor motor and trans then you might as well leave it out and restore the engine compartment.
    With today's prices your looking about$10,000-15,000 to restore it doing most all the work yourself and $25-30K if a Restoration shop does the work.
    The plus is it's a California truck and looks very solid.
    It does have minor body damage at driverside rear bedside.

I'm not totally sure what they are worth Restored but at $15K asking price and Restoration of $15K that puts you at $30K or more finished and that range sounds more then most want to spend

I hope it's worth 15K but be prepared to go lower if your really wanting a quick sale.
    It does have alot of potential but as I see it it's still a full Restoration and knowing it had a donor motor put in to drive it has to have 134,000 miles on body and chassis so it's going to need all the suspension and brake parts replaced.
    Not trying to tear this truck down but just trying to be realistic as to what it's going to need.
    It certainly is a great foundation but the truth of it is Restorations are very expensive and buyers don't like paying high dollar for projects unless the resale is worth more then the investment.

Anyway Good Luck with the sale

3. TestDummy

If you only put $15K into a restoration, you didn't do it correctly. No offense, but if you got an offer above $8K, you should take it.

Anyway, good luck on the sale.

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. Rods N Restos

Dude I restore cars,only cost I have is parts and materials.
    I said if you can do most all the work yourself you could probably restore that Ranchero for $15K but if a shop does the work your looking more like $25-30K or even more so add that to $15K asking price is not gonna result in much interest from people that can't do their own restorations.

If your gonna quote me make sure you quote all of what I write,not just part

5. TestDummy

I wasn't ripping on you, at all. Actually, I was agreeing with you. And I was making a true statement, that a $15K restoration is not really possible. Don't be so defensive. It's all good.

HuevosRanchero and ForistellFord like this.
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

For what it is worth, Dad gas a 70 429 SCJ four speed well equipped GT we restored rotissery style and his bottom dollar asking price is $35K. Solid Atlanta area car rust free and amazingly dent free all those years. Hidden headlights, am/fm stereo, tach, shaker hood, and the wildest hounds tooth upholstery I have seen in a Ranchero. After a quick calculator run, I think he is around $8,000 under what is invested in it's restoration. He want's to sell it because he needs the room for another project off the farm that he's itching to build. Already has the "Ranchero.US" sticker on the rear window.
    Both of you guys are correct about the restoration cost. If it is a hobby and not a business investment where you have to count the hours you invest, a restore can be done way cheaper. Material costs are what bites you hard nowdays. You can't beat that aspect of a resto and do a classy job.

7. TestDummy

Not the black one?

8. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Boy you can knock off a few K thanks to that!!! ;):p:cool:

9. TestDummy

Putting a sticker of Calvin peeing on a Ford emblem would add value.

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Not the black one Sean. This one came in Ditzler 2156 bright gold poly and is still that color. Yellow to red Laser Stripe. I haven't peeked under the black's cover in about a year, just something life got in the way of doing.

11. Rods N Restos

Maybe for you it's not possible.
    I could do the bodywork and paint on that 71 Ranchero GT for around $2500-3000 and do a show winning job.
    The motor and transmission have already been rebuilt so that leaves suspension brakes and fuel system rebuild.so why can't I buy the parts for $12,000?

Like I mentioned If someone has Restoration skills they could restore it.
    I don't know about you but I don't charge myself to restore my own vehicle and I don't even keep track of hours on my own vehicles.
    Granted I'm not interested in buying this Ranchero but I could restore it for myself for $15K as there is no Labor charges and what is a major expense in any Restoration for customers and why I am glad I got 36 yrs experience and can restore my own classic cars as I could not afford to pay someone to do the work.
    That is why I mentioned to have a shop or even an individual restore a classic car your looking at $25-30K as that includes the labor.
    Sure some shops charge much more cause of their overhead and labor rate but not everyone needs to charge $80-120 an hour to restore cars and do a quality job

12. TestDummy

You are amazing. Just ask you. ;)

13. Rods N Restos

Jeff M,
    I been talking to some of the 70-71 Torino/Ranchero guys on Facebook and they all feel $15K is too high asking price and going by the condition it is in even with the original numbers matching engine and trans rebuilt that $8000-10,000.
    is about the top range for condition it is and a more realistic price if your really wanting to sell it and not have it sitting around for years.
    They also told me the 71 Rancheros don't seem to bring the same money as the 71 Torinos do.
    I hope this helps you with your sale

14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Why for are you yellin' at Sean for agreein'? I reckon Sean said that some time ago actually.

TestDummy likes this.
  15. TestDummy

$8K, if he's lucky, is what he said. Get it running, original motor, sans restoration, probably $12K.

16. Rods N Restos

Do you guys need glasses or are you just ignorant.
    I wasn't yelling at him about his estimate of $8K.
    He said that it couldn't be restored for $15K and I said maybe he can't but I could.

Anyway let's just agree to disagree.
    I made some inquiries for the seller and now it's up to them what the do with the information but as for me I'm done with this post,yall can go on and on without me as I'm done with all this

17. TestDummy

I agree, as long as you agree that I've restored a Ranchero, having purchased three to get the job done, so maybe I know what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]