460 into a 79,a few questions

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by rancheromac, Aug 9, 2012.

1. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

putting 460 into 79,need new oil pan,is there any problem with fitting ? I know 76 was the year 460's came from factory. putting c6 behind it, besides motor mounts, are there any other conversions? trans cradle? it had a 351/fmx. any tips would be appreciated

2. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

I remember someone put a 428 or something like that into a 77/79 and it was too tall in the engine compartment and he had to make a hood with a scoop. Looked awesome, not sure if that applies to a 460 though.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The 429 used in the earlier Rancheros are the same engine.
    The 460 is just a stroked 429.
    You just need different engine mounts.
    Are you going with a c6?

4. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

When I installed my 460 into my '79 I used '76 T-bird parts(engine/trans, engine/trans mounts, front engine brackets, A/C compressor & hoses, trans crossmember will work but I reused and modified a SB C4 trans crossmember). The stock T-bird 460 oil pan fits perfectly using the stock T-bird's engine mounts. I had the SB/C4 out and the 460/C6 installed and running in about 5 hours, it is basically a "drop-in and bolt-up" type of installation using the correct mounts and brackets. I believe the T-birds exhaust manifolds worked good, lots of clearance for the swap. Had to have driveshaft shortened('76 T-bird uses long tailshaft C6). To re-use the Tecumseh or York A/C compressor you will need to find a set of Torino 460 engine brackets, the T-bird uses an A6 compressor and a Saginaw PS pump. The best advice I can give you is to find a donor vehicle and remove as many parts as your wallet allows, from the engine/trans to the little parts that get hard to find like the accellerator cable or trans dipstick. An Edelbrock Performer will allow a stock hood, no holes to cut, as will a stock cast iron intake manifold. I realize there is alot I am not mentioning, I did my conversion back in '87, so it's been a while ago. I hope this helps, Todd

78460 likes this.
  5. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

when you make the swap, take the wiper motor off to give a little extra clearance. A Weiand Stealth will fit with a little clearance of you don;t use a thick spacer. If you use one you'll need a slightly longer throttle cable (79 MK V ) is long enough....Fan shrouds sometimes won;t interchange between motors, you may have to use another. I got one for a big block early Ranchero from Dearborn....If swapping ( FMX to C6) trans your gonna need a new selector cable for it ,or go with floor shifter.May need a new speedo cable too/Been a long time since i did mine and I went aftermarket speedo with cable,,I seem to remember that its a bit longer than the FMX one..-Just small changes ,,once in you;ll never look back...A big block takes the heavy Chero down the road with juice to spare

6. rancheromac

oil pan needed,not sure year 460 block was

The 1st block was a 78 lincoln, had a cracked cyl spotted after shop had bored 60 over in all previos 7. I did not pay him for that mess! new block I think was a truck 460. was going w/oversized capacity oil pan, but wondering where to find, it looks like there is some difference in pre 1974??. will any 460 pan work,regardless of year?

7. ribald1

The 385 changed very little over the years, and are all the same on the outside, so everything interchanges.
    I am using the Canton pan on my 72.
    If you are interested, I have a Canton windage screen I would let go at a very fair price. It did not have sufficient clearance for my 521 stroker upgrade.

8. rancheromac

thanks,but have a milidon already

Any sites for oil pans besides jegs, they are where I looked and got confused on something different on 74's maybe they were rear sump setups??

9. ribald1

There is also Summit Racing.
    you need a pan specific to your vehicle, there are lots of different pans and most won't fit your application.