Aftermarket A/C

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by lanny, Apr 2, 2020.

1. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

Has anyone installed an under-dash A/C kit in a 1973 500? If so, what unit(s) were used and from which companies? Dash configuration and available space appear to eliminate nearly all units I have looked at.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When Ford had the Mark IV dealer-installed units, it just was a single underdash unit, which had an integral blower motor. It hung from the bottom of the dash above the hump. If you wanted to spend the lucre, source the parts and do all the work, you likely could find an intermediate car setup, which would replace all the non-A/C gear currently installed. But I don't know how far you want to go with your rig.

3. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

Thanks handy_andy - I looked at Vintage Air and they have a re-make of the Mark IV. However, the measurements seem that the unit is too large to fit below the dash over the trans. hump. Have you seen one installed? Any pictures?

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I wish I did, but frankly, I would think the measurements would be the same for both full and intermediate cars. Does anyone else have any further info on the Mark IV units?