Gen 7: Different colored/vinyl top? Squire only?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Spritely, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Spritely

Spritely In Second Gear

Trying to solve a mystery. I have the build sheet for my 78 Squire (found under the seat) but wanted more info so got the deluxe Marti report. Great info but I can't find a place on either that denotes a vinyl or painted top. Body of mine is "Creme" (code 6P) and the top is a subtle shade lighter yellow. It does have the chrome trim piece (separates body color from roof color) which not all squires are equipped with. Brochure for the 78 shows a Squire with "optional vinyl top" so there must be a spot for it on the sheets.

So two possible scenarios:
    1. Factory paint on the roof. There's a chip & I can see the creme under the topcoat yellow.
    2. Roof was painted by the previous owner possibly after the vinyl top bit the dust (AZ car). Roof paint job is older but of shop quality not rattle-can.

Anyway, is there a way to find out on the build sheet/Marti report top color/vinyl info? I ask because if it had a vinyl top on it I'd like to have a replacement fitted so that it's back to original.

Thanks!

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You would think the build sheet would have that, if it was factory-installed. Remember, back then, some things could be done at the dealer (Mark IV A/C, anyone?), not to mention the aftermarket. I would say that the vinyl top was installed after purchase, but that's only my opinion.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

All of my Marti Reports show the vinyl roof as a line entry - I would presume that if your car was originally equipped with it the Marti Report would show it.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Can you post a pic of the vinyl top molding?
    A lot of dealers added aftermarket vinyl tops to sell vehicles.
    I put hundreds on cars and trucks in the 70's and 80's.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Dealer I worked at in the 70's/80's ordered cars without any of the bells and whistles and either sent them out or had us install them. Increased their profit I guess.

6. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Look at your Certification Label (left door lock pillar) to determine if vinyl roof was factory. If so, look up the code on the chart below.

Vehicle Certification Label.jpg

Vinyl Roof Codes.jpg

7. Spritely

Spritely In Second Gear

Thanks for the great info that settles the vinyl question. Looks like it only has a color code (6P) and no hyphenated code after it so no factory vinyl top only a painted top/A pillars. Since the creme color is underneath the lighter colored top paint and the color code only indicates one color I'm guessing that the top was painted by the dealer or a shop to Brougham it up. Still wonder why some squires have the chrome side trim piece that separates the top from the body and others don't. Was it part of an appearance package?