got my lightning motor for the 68

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by dads 68, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dads 68

dads 68 In Third Gear

linden VA. close to Front Royal or Winchester Know where that is?

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We pass through Winchester on our trips back to MI. Haven't been to Front Royal though. I'm north of C'Ville, almost to Ruckersville. Drive that pickup down here and let me take it for a drive.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You want to drive it down that runway you have at work?

4. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

thats a dang fine score no matter which way you look at it..!!!

5. TestDummy

What's your point?

6. dads 68

dads 68 In Third Gear

Good deal. just let me get the plexy glass windshield screwed in it first:)And how tall are you? If you are much more than 5-8 or so I.ll cut you a hole in the roof so you don,t hit your head.

7. TestDummy

6-1. Cut a big round hole in the roof, then silicone a clear glass bowl on there upside down. That way I can see without getting bugs in my eyes. Thanks.

8. dads 68

dads 68 In Third Gear

vss.jpg Hey guys my first mental hurdle with the swap is going to be how to tell the puter how fast I am going with the tire size and rear change I will be doing. Sure, a plastic gear change on the end of a tranz mounted VSS would be simple enough but the Lightning uses a rear mounted RABS for a speed signal for ABS and cruse and then it goes through a programmable speedometer and then to the PCM. The schematics on the I have for 93 trucks show the same symbol like I drew a picture of in the attachment so I am hoping that it a VSS and RABS are both sending the same kind of signal to the computer If I am right I can get a junkyard VSS and run it through the connection to the RABS and get a proper signal to the PCM. I think they both send info in pulse widths but don,t know how to test for it. So am I on the right track and if so what year vehicles used that kind of VSS that piggybacked onto a conventional speedo cable should I be looking for in the junkyard?

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Dad You do not really need the VSS on obd1....what tranny are you going to use AOD AODE..? You have several options for the speed sensor..yes you can use a ford speed sensor that attachés to the end of the speedo cable or one of the earlier speed sensors for ford cruise control that go in line on the speedo cable..

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  10. dads 68

dads 68 In Third Gear

I was sort of wanting to use the SD harness and puter that is in the truck now and was thinking that even if I used an AOD that I might have the stallout on deceleration issues that they talk about fordfuelinjection.com. I am still not sure if I want to tackle the E4OD or not. The biggest problem I see isn,t the trans tunnel mods,it is that the drive shaft is 4 inches offset from center and it would mean an Axel cutdown and respline job. I would like to get the engine installed even with my C4 and open Axel for now if possible even if it means a redo of the exhaust system later when a different tranz and rear go in

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Wonder If Dad ever got it installed