Model year changes from '62 to '63 Rancheros

Discussion in 'Ranchero History' started by jj, Feb 21, 2010.

1. jj

jj In First Gear

You often see a break in parts for Rancheros and Falcon for 1962 and 1963. What changed after '62 that makes many '63 parts not work or fit? I ask because I have a late model 1962 Ranchero and I often see parts for '63 and on and I wonder if they would fit on my '62. What body changes were made then and how can I know if my late model year '62 is really a '63 body style?
    thanks,

jj

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I am sure some of the round body experts will chime in but I think most of the body parts will exchange, I know there were some suspension upgrades made but if you swap out all the parts they will fit.. Trim/grill changes model year to model year with the early fords were common.

3. steeread

steeread Guest

Most significant change was in front suspension. Early control arms and ball joints were undersized and weak. These were changed in around October 61, and if you have parts dated after that you are OK.

4. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

'63 was the first year that V8's (260 cid) were offered in the Ranchero, so heavier-duty shocks, springs and radiator were offered. It's possible that some slight reconfiguration of the engine bay was needed to make room for the V8. As far as I know, if your VIN indicates a 1962, then a true 1962 is what you have.

Bob the Builder