Security helping me out

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Clark, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Security is helping me out and now blocks access to web sites with dynamic addressing. Hence, no more access to Ranchero.us while I'm at work - bummer.

2. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

aw....thank God I work for a little business... LOL

3. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Know what ya mean Clark, they took away out internet access as well, a little bit of abuse on days so everybody suffers. But being the engineers we are and circumventing problems, it only took a couple hours to find a back door, but have to be discret... :D

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Clark ... if you don't need a lot of speed then you can likely get out on a 56k dialup modem -- an end-run around your IT department. I did that for years at my last job -- nobody ever knew. Just be sure to quiet the speaker before dialing out.

5. ZWHEELS

ZWHEELS Guest

you could try to find one of those... what is it wifi spots? you can get a little detecter from an electronics store for less than $20.00. and sneak online that way

6. MarksM

MarksM In Third Gear

I setup my home router and one PC to use dyndns and I use remote desktop. I can surf where I please and it never shows up on Big brothers list.

7. Unfortunately though, when companies start to block such things as dynamic DNS sites, they also block terminal services so the remote desktop is usually nuked too. Since I'm basically the security here I just gave myself a firewall/proxy bypass IP so it's all good. "They" don't allow IM, dynamic dns, term services, streaming media, etc here.

8. Hyrb

Hyrb Guest

SSH on port 22 is usually still available. FF or I could configure you home router remote and set it up

or you could try going out thru a remote proxy, there is always a way. What BB doesn't realize is that productivity goes down cause folks will spend more time trying to work around "security" than they would spend on the web during work in the first place.

or is that just me...

9. burninbush

What BB doesn't realize is that productivity goes down cause folks will spend more time trying to work around "security" than they would spend on the web during work in the first place. >Hyrb

+++++++++

Dang, I get slapped today for a post I put up 4 months back. Hyrb, can you block a modem on an analog phone line? Your backdoor port proposition assumes that you are smarter than the IT guys at your site -- I chose not to test that at my job. What happens to them if/when you do get caught?

10. Yes, first of all I think you should get slapped evey day for your posts, regardless of their age or content.

Secondly, you should test them, and do it regularly. One of two excuses are possible:

1.) Say you were testing their security and their usage policy. They'll like that.

2.) (This one is the recommended way) Deny, deny, deny. Claim ignorance. Say it was always like that. IT folks are usually so arrogant that they'll buy your ignorance excuse, because they believe no one is smarter than them, and you couldn't possibly have defeated their security so you will be absolved.

In other words, bypass it if possible. It's worth it.

EDIT: No you can't block a modem on an analog port.

[ April 24, 2007, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: ForistellFord ]

11. CJ Guy

:D :D :D

12. burninbush

2.) (This one is the recommended way) Deny, deny, deny. Claim ignorance. Say it was always like that. IT folks are usually so arrogant that they'll buy your ignorance excuse, because they believe no one is smarter than them, and you couldn't possibly have defeated their security so you will be absolved.>FF

++++++++++++++

Not clear any of your methods would have worked at Etec -- anyway, the IT guys were my friends, and we worked fairly closely together, one of my hats being SysAdmin for the minicomputer room where the company's business software products got built. It would have been embarrassing all around for me to get caught breaking the rules -- in a way that implicated the people I worked with.

OTOH, nobody would waste the time snooping on a dedicated analog phone line.

13. CJ Guy