something odd

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by burninbush, Apr 30, 2014.

1. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

There is something weird with posting on the new board software; it is somehow remembering my previous posts, such that when I click on Reply the form is showing the stuff that I previously posted.

I always assume that my linux OS or Firefox might be the problem, but to check this I rebooted into win7, went to reply to a post, and there are my previous replys' contents showing in the reply form. So, it didn't come from linux or Firefox -- it was supplied by the board software. It appears that it is being captured by the board even if I don't choose to post the reply. Maybe in some sort of scratchpad? Maybe it only happens within the same forum [e.g., Whacky]. Didn't see it when I went to make this post.

I hope this is not a feature -- it's very confusing, requiring me to edit a just-posted reply to remove old stuff. Old text presents in the reply form in lower contrast; I thought it might disappear when I send the new reply, but it doesn't, it's posted along with my new remarks.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

If you write something, but don't post it in that session, it saves it as a draft. It will then be there everytime until you actually edit or remove what you wrote and then post something in that same session.

3. burninbush

OK ... well, I'll work around that. Old board didn't do that.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Vbulletin versus Xenforo software - just a few nuance things that we are going to get used to over time.

Bill has done a tremendous job in updating the software and this is an improvement from a lot of technical and security aspects.

5. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I actually like this feature. If by mistake you exit or forum jump it saves the content for you. I have done this numerous times on the old forum here and on other forums. Most must like this feature as I have found Xemforo to be very up on Forum Member input. If a lot of people don't like or like something they either add it or dump it.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It is helpful. Recently made a response and the phone rang. I hit the 'X' rather than the '_' when opening another program.
    Figured I lost the post, but it was there when I came back.

7. burninbush

If you try to reply to several posts in a thread it becomes very confusing. All your previous post content to that thread appear, along with edits you made but never sent.

Trying again, I find that after I click on Reply I can just highlight and delete all the old text, then click on Reply again and at that point it behaves more like the old board.

8. ribald1

I have only encountered this after entering text in the box and not hitting reply.
    Otherwise, the box is always clear.

9. Rancherous

BB do you write what you think before you hit reply??? That is the only possible way I could see it being confusing in any way. Most will hit Reply/Quote and then type their reply and actually if you write before you reply then hit reply it places your reply under what you just typed instead of on top. I am lost to how it is any different then the Old Board when replying/quoting a thread. All of your Quote/Replies will appear within the (quote) text text text text text text (QUOTe) boxes. Like Ribald said the box is empty until you type text into it, if you notice when writing a reply you will see in the bottom right corner of the reply box saying DRAFT SAVED.

You just typed a very long reply and your power went out,your computer reset or you xed out by accident, you lose all the info you just worked on. With this its always saved.(QUOTe][/QUOT)

I had to edit because it quoted me and put it in a separate quote box. simply by typing quote in boxes

10. burninbush

I'll figure it out. Not to worry.

11. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

That sucks. If this software supports it, you can use the noparse tag.

Note: Sent from BB Code Editor since the WYSIWYG editor is currently preventing me from deleting text. Are there any plans to improve both editors? Such as fixing the WYSIWYG editor from locking out certain keys and adding shortcut buttons to the BB Code Editor?

12. Rancherous

Mike I am not familiar with text editors and who would actually benefit from changing them? Can you please elaborate to someone not too savvy on what benefits a different text editor would help for the masses?? I added Multi Quote and got replies of I have 15,000 posts and never needed it or what good is it? We are a very small forum with most not being very computer savvy people myself included. Most of our forum is designed for simple question and answers or basic discussions. My quote box post was basically to explain to Burninbush where your quote ends and begins, it would not be in any other messages or ever used in an actual thread. I would guess that you and possibly Forestill Ford may be the only ones who even know BB Code. How does this editor improve things for basic usage. I appreciate your input. Thanks

13. ribald1

I use the multi quote occasionally.
    In my opinion your current editor is more than adequate for this application.
    Importing rich text from one editor to another can be problematic even in high end applications like Microsoft Word.