Three Deuces

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by super green dog, Jun 28, 2019.

1. super green dog

super green dog In Third Gear

Was recently at a So Cal show and while walking around, stopped to look at a nice Galaxy... not sure the year, 63, 64, maybe even 65. The owner popped the hood and there was a 390 w three 2 barrels... He told me it came from Ford that way - no idea if it's true or he was bs'ing. But, that got me thinking, (which is not always a good thing)... Currently, my 1969 GT has a a 650 cfm 4 bbl Edelbrock on a Performer manifold - things work just fine. But just can't forgot how great those three deuces looked. I know Edelbrock made a 3X2 F380 FORD FE 390 427 428 INTAKE Tri Power Manifold. (see them for $400 to $900...) Plus, then there's the carbs, air cleaner, linkages., & etc. Am not even sure a mechanical fuel pump will work.

The cost might clearly out-way the 'wow' or performance factor... but, then again, could be something I start collecting a little hear and there...

Has anyone done or have something like this on their FE? Any input or suggestions? Thanks

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, triple deuce induction was available from Ford, both factory and dealer. What matters is what provenance the owner has on their individual car. Pics would've been nice, though....o_O

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Nice '63 with 3 deuces on a 406:

IMG_9590.JPG IMG_9592.JPG

4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Do it! It may not give you the performance boost ... but it might. It might not give you the "wow factor" ... but it might! For me, it's a learning experience. To me, that's worth the cost. I'm looking at putting a retro roller cam into a 289. Will it ever pay for itself? Nope! But I wouldn't do it for the savings. I would do it to learn.

My two cents,

Joseph

5. super green dog

Beerbelly - Yes, that's exactly what it looked like - how cool! Andy - are you thinking/asking if i'm concerned over keeping the vehicle original or something else? Within in the next few months will be taking out the C6 and putting in a period correct top loader & a 3.5 posi. So, am good w changing things around a bit... I am pretty crappy about pics - but will try to add some if i go forward. Also, am hearing mixed feedback regarding keeping the 3 deuces in tune - any additional comments? Joseph - good feedback too - hey, for fun & etc. Just don't want to do anything too stupid... Thanks.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Dad and I keep spares of those in case we have a project that needs more air and fuel. Three twos can be set up with progressive linkage that allows you to cruise on a economical two barrel carb then opens the other two when more grunt is wanted. In the South the entire setup can go as low as $600 but nicer ones average $1600. Takes a bit of fiddling to get them dialed in but the effort is worth the aggravation. Multi carbs always look sweet, especially on sleeper Fords. IMG_0047.JPG Ford made them for all engine sizes, so check for port matches on your heads. Hit the swap meets and look around. IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

7. handy_andy_cv64

+2 on the progressive linkage. As for your rig, if you're making mods, originality's no longer a concern. However, I was referring to other Ford's, and whether they had their induction installed from the factory, or done at the dealer/aftermarket.

8. super green dog

Thanks! Great pics... agree, 3 x 2's look so cool...

9. colnago

I … must … resist …

Joseph

10. handy_andy_cv64

You better, as a K-code 289 is ultra-pure Unobtainium.

11. colnago

I guess I'd better scratch it of my Christmas list, then.

Joseph

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I'll take two, one for the Chero and one for the F150, how do you start a go fund me account. ??

Saff54 and Kiwirancher like this.
  15. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

By begging, like the rest of the clueless wonders. :eek:

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

It was just a filler, happy with what I am driving and the project that is a slow roll. I pay my own way, the 65 is a slow moving project that life got in the way of.

pmrphil likes this.
  17. super green dog

450 - 525 HP w carburetors... impressive...

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Do you do tours of your collectables, curiosity has gotten the best of me

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sorta. We take them to shows and club meets and a few are on loan to various museums whose owner's we know and trust. Currently the king Cobra Torino is at Tim Wellborn's Aero warrior Museum in Alexander City, Alabama. Plan on swapping it out with the Cyclone Super Spoiler in a few days. Took the Thunderbolt to the national meet of The Faiirlane Club of America up in Dayton, Ohio this previous weekend. Got a trip to the Old Drag Racers Reunion in Dothan, Alabama coming up soon, will take the T-bolt and 67 Cyclone drag car there. A few others are scattered around in other museums. The long nose prototype cars will be on display in the NASCAR garage on the infield at Talladega later this year. I sent some of my cars to Sweden in care of a friend who I trust implicitly. The collection rolls over frequently. A sampler = Spoilers.jpg Tallabama 2015.jpg

20. handy_andy_cv64