Trouble getting to the site?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by burninbush, May 12, 2010.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, didn't realize you had so little time to waste.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

DDNS failure at ~ 7:30pm tonight -- traceroute fails at the first line, can't find the named site. So ... I got in through Google. Tried the traceroute later and it worked.

Maybe FF can explain why DDNS wouldn't remember the IP of www.ranchero.us from yesterday? That is, it hasn't changed.

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I suspect it's less of a name server failure and more of a hosting provider error that's to blame. DNS is too deep to fully explain it but it relies on updates from authoratative zones to function properly. If the root servers don't get updated (in a timely manner) from authoratative servers, they'll just drop the record and clear their cache to save space and CPU cycles. So, until they get an updated record for ranchero.us, they will simply tell you to go piss up a rope. These are conversations that the hosting provider needs to be having, not us schmucks. If I'm Billy, I'm pretty mystified that their tech support hasn't corrected this fairly simple issue.

5. burninbush

4 - 5 DDNS timeouts yesterday, at various times. Slow this morning, but got through before timing out.

6. 5.0 Chero

Just a thought but maybe it just dont like you BB?

7. ForistellFord

It don't like me none, neither. Last two days have been the worst I've seen. No worries.

8. 5.0 Chero

Everyone knows the site dose not like you!:eek: I am surprised it even lets you log on.

9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

You mean he did get in??? Note to self: Must work on that some more...

10. ForistellFord

I got in! Sorry man!

11. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Ya last couple days rather annoying, almost like the service provider don't have a friqen clue or the filters imposed by the owner of this site and they don't know how to set it up...Only site I visit that has this problem, yes there is an issue, glad it happens to BB more than most...:D

12. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Glad to see it's not just me having an issue. I thought it was just me being in China was the problem. They do seem to have some filters on here, U-tube is one of them.

13. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I will check into this tomorrow with the server. Nothing has changed in the settings of this site since we reopened it so I dont think its the site owners fault.

14. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Guys please try to use www.ranchero.us and then hit forum and let me know how it works when you have the problem. I access the site and never have any problems this way. If you are still having difficulty I will contact the server.

15. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

what he said!

16. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Oh, I'm pretty sure BB has time to waste......like most of us who post here a lot.;)

I'm more concerned that FF doesn't seem to know who he is.:eek: That would explain a lot though.

17. burninbush

Oh, I'm pretty sure BB has time to waste....

++++++++++++++

I may have reduced the waste by a bit. There was a suggestion a couple months ago up this thread to explicitly name www.ranchero.us in the puter's hosts file. So I did that, and haven't since seen the 'searching for ...' message.

On a linux machine, this is /etc/hosts -- and on my win2k installs it is c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You can find it with a win-explorer search, but my guess is it is similarly named in xp/vista/win7.

It's just a text file. So open it with notepad or other text editor [probably best to not use Word] and add a single line

67.19.114.66 www.ranchero.us

and save. Close your browser window, restart it, and now when you click on your bookmark to go to this site, it won't have to wait for the DDNS to reply. This will work until the next time www.ranchero.us changes its IP address, after which you'll have to edit it again [or delete it] to get to the site.

***As a technical detail, I think that historically the space(s) between .66 and www. is supposed to be a tab, but a space will probably also work.

18. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

See, I told ya'll BB had time to waste.

19. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Sounds like everybodys computer connection is getting too high tech. I use a cheap office max compaq and have dial up service and never have had a problem getting connected to this site. I know its more luck than skill. Just as soon mess with cars than computers.