Vitamin D and Tanning

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mo.herbfarm, Nov 8, 2014.

1. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

No way I can prove or disprove it's usefulness, obviously. Still, I did experience a serious stoppage, a frightening event, to say the least. As I asked, how locally does the sub-dermal D production work? No idea. Research has not helped. I WAS on meds, have taken NONE since the "event". If nothing else, it's "therapy" seems beneficial to the mind if not the urinary tract.

Regarding hemorrhoids, all I will say is, if ya got 'em, it's your call! There is a line in an old Frank G. Slaughter book, where the surgeons are preparing to excise some poor bastard's prostate, and one sings these lyrics: "We've got him propped up with his naked pratt for all the world to see, because we're going to do a pros-tay-tec-tomy". mo.

TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hehehehe, wait, that makes no sense.

A few years back I fell asleep on the beach in the outer banks, and woke up a few hours later burnt pretty bad (for me, because I've only been sunburned like twice). A mole I had on my chest since birth really hurt the next day, then if sort of fell off. A few months later, it grew back, like it had never been gone. What I'm saying is, I think I got a few years worth of Vitamin D that vacation.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  3. mo.herbfarm

Mebbe you got it all in the wrong place! mo.

TestDummy likes this.
  4. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You're just hoping sunlight does for you what it does for trees.

"mighty oaks from little acorns grow".

5. TestDummy

But the oaks can't help their feelings
    If they like the way they're made
    And they wonder why the maples
    Can't be happy in their shade

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

In my 50s I lost 3 chunks of meat from my neck, forehead and shoulder caused by too much sun in my youth. (cost me about $4,000)
    I'm going to pass on sunshine on the privates. If I need some "D" I will take a pill :D

7. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Different in Canada than here, so, irrelevant.

8. TestDummy

You wouldn't know irrelevant if a Canadian hit you upside the head with it.

ForistellFord likes this.
  9. Norm Gilbertson

Norm Gilbertson In Second Gear

The solar-powered cure for prostate cancer

If you've heard about the so-called death rays of the sun -- if you've had to listen to the Chicken Littles of the world scream about the supposed dangers coming from above -- I've got some news for you today. The sun IS shooting out death rays, but they're NOT aimed at you. No, the "death rays" of the sun are pointed straight at cancer cells, because it's a scientific fact that sunlight is one of the most potent weapons we have against tumors.

And men the latest research shows why sunlight is such a powerful ally in the fight against prostate cancer.

We already know that men with high vitamin D levels have a lower risk of the rare, aggressive and deadly prostate tumors that mainstream medicine is absolutely powerless to treat.

Now, the new study shines a light on how it works -- and it starts deep inside your body with a gene called GDF-14. This thing is like weedkiller for tumor cells, especially prostate cancer tissue, because it blocks the process that triggers the inflammation that allows cancers to form, grow and spread.

But GDF-15 is a bit of a lollygagger. It's not as active as it could be, which is why those tumors can grow anyway.

That's where the vitamin D comes in, because the new research shows how it gives GDF-15 the kick in the pants it needs to start working overtime -- and once you spark that fire in your genes, this thing does to tumors what a dog will do to an old pair of jeans.

It chews 'em up... and spits 'em right out. The study focused on prostate cancer cells, which makes sense since it was published in a journal called Prostate.

But the fact is that same GDF-15 can fight off any number of cancers -- including stone-cold killers such as gastric cancer and colon cancer.

And that's just one of the many ways D can fight off cancer.

So do yourself and your body a favor. Break free from the Chicken Littles, get outside and catch some rays every day. But since you don't know how much D your body is making, make sure all your bases are covered with a quality D3 supplement.

Shining a light on cancer,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

10. mo.herbfarm

Thank you for "shining a little light!" mo.

11. TestDummy

Shining a little light 'up there' is what I'm sure you meant.

12. mo.herbfarm

I even liked it the 2nd. time, too! mo.

13. TestDummy

You can say that again, and again, and again.

14. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The guy is new, he made a mistake.

Cut him some slack.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  15. ForistellFord

Thanks for both postings, Norm. Never know if someone who missed it the first time saw it because of the re-post. I doubt it was unintentional. This is good information worthy of a second mention. People 'bump' sale threads, this is no different.

16. TestDummy

Some people bump for sale threads, so no worries.

17. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Duplicates deleted with the intent of making you folks harping on it appear mean and petty (troof hurts don't it).

18. ForistellFord

Sorry, I didn't mean to be. I complimented it.

19. TestDummy

Same here. Norm, dude, sorry. And, for the record, I do get as much sun as I can. I ain't skeered none.

20. Norm Gilbertson

Norm Gilbertson In Second Gear

This is the one I meant to grab when I duplicate posted.............

By Dr. Mercola
    If there ever was a Top Nutrient competition, vitamin D just might nab the title. It affects your DNA through vitamin D receptors (VDRs) that bind to specific locations on the human genome.
    So far, scientists have identified nearly 3,000 genes that are influenced by vitamin D status, and a robust and growing body of research clearly shows that vitamin D is critical for optimal health and disease prevention.
    This includes some of the more difficult-to-treat conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease,1 Parkinson’s, and multiple sclerosis2 (MS).
    Vitamin D Deficiency Is Prevalent in MS
    Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, neurodegenerative disease of the nerves in your brain and spinal column, caused through a demyelization process. It has long been considered a “hopeless” disease with few treatment options.
    The typical prescription for MS focuses on highly toxic medications like prednisone and interferon. However, research over the past few years suggests MS may be improved using a number of natural methods—including vitamin D.
    Most recently, a study3, 4 presented at this year’s annual meeting of the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine5 (AANEM) shows that vitamin D deficiency is surprisingly prevalent both among those diagnosed with MS, and patients suffering other neuromuscular conditions.
    Here, vitamin D deficiency was defined as a 25(OH)D3 level of 30ng/ml or less. Of patients diagnosed with a neuromuscular condition, 48 percent were deficient in vitamin D. Only 14 percent were above “normal,” which here constituted a vitamin D level of 40 ng/ml. According to one of the authors:
    “While the connection between vitamin D deficiency and neurologic disease is likely complex and not yet fully understood, this study may prompt physicians to consider checking vitamin D levels in their patients with neurologic conditions and supplementing when necessary.”
    Besides this one, about a dozen other studies6 have also noted a strong link between MS and vitamin D deficiency. For example, a number of studies have confirmed that your risk of MS increases the farther away you live from the equator, suggesting lack of sun exposure amplifies your risk.
    I believe optimizing your vitamin D level is of great importance if you have MS, but it’s not the only factor. For additional treatment suggestions, please see my previous article discussing natural MS treatment guidelines.
    Vitamin D Deficiency Raises Risk of Brain Dysfunction and Death Following Cardiac Arrest
    Besides helping prevent chronic brain disorders such as dementia, vitamin D sufficiency may also help protect brain function should you have the misfortune of suffering cardiac arrest. As noted in a recent press release:7, 8
    Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of poor brain function after sudden cardiac arrest by seven-fold, according to research presented at Acute Cardiovascular Care 2014 by Dr Jin Wi from Korea. Vitamin D deficiency also led to a higher chance of dying after sudden cardiac arrest.
    Dr Wi said: ‘In patients resuscitated after sudden cardiac arrest, recovery of neurological function is very important, as well as survival. Vitamin D deficiency has been reported to be related to the risk of having various cardiovascular diseases, including sudden cardiac arrest.
    We investigated the association of vitamin D deficiency with neurologic outcome after sudden cardiac arrest, a topic on which there is no information so far...
    Patients with vitamin D deficiency were more likely to have a poor neurological outcome or die after sudden cardiac arrest than those who were not deficient.
    Nearly one-third of the patients who were deficient in vitamin D had died 6 months after their cardiac arrest, whereas all patients with sufficient vitamin D levels were still alive.’"

Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Asthma
    In related news,9 asthma attacks have also been linked to insufficient vitamin D status. Low vitamin D levels were significantly associated with greater frequency and severity of attacks in asthmatics. According to lead author Dr. Ronit Confino-Cohen, a senior lecturer at Meir Medical Center in Kfar Saba, Israel:
    “I think that if a patient has had good treatment for asthma and is still not controlled, maybe he should be checked for his vitamin D levels before adding on more medications. Maybe supplementation would do the job.”
    This isn’t the first time vitamin D deficiency has been linked to asthma attacks. Research published in 2010 also found that asthmatic children with low blood vitamin D levels may have a greater risk of suffering severe asthma attacks. According to this study, vitamin D insufficiency itself was linked to a 50 percent increase in the risk of severe asthma attacks.
    At the end of 2008, the American Academy of Pediatrics doubled its recommended dose of vitamin D for infants, children and adolescents, raising it from 200 to 400 units per day.10, 11 But research12 published earlier that same year revealed children may need 10 times that amount in order to receive the health benefits that optimal vitamin D levels have to offer! Many mothers also are vitamin D deficient, which is another contributor to asthma. A 2007 study13 showed that poor diet and lack of vitamin D during pregnancy were the determining factors in whether their children suffered from asthma by the age of five.​