Sealing fuel tank

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by John Roman, Nov 22, 2019.

1. John Roman

John Roman In Third Gear

I have been looking for a new tank for my 70 Ranchero but I looked at other post and it seems like there is no aftermarket replacements available. So I am thinking of using a tank sealer. Has anyone use a sealer? I see Por-15 makes one as well as Eastwood. Any thought or experience with either of these products? Thanks.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

My motorcycle group (1982-1986 Honda Magna/Sabre) liked the POR-15, hated the Kreem, no experiences with Eastwood (although it's probably rebranded POR-15). They also used Muriatic acid (petroleum jelly mixed with water) to clean out the rust. The biggest issue is to make sure to keep any passages clear (running wires through the fuel/evap lines, etc), because once it dries, it's done. You're not going to be able to clean out passages once it's dried. This is on motorcycle tanks, which held ~3 gallons. I imagine a car tank that holds ~20 gallons is more difficult to handle.

Joseph

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Don't laugh, at least not hard enough to hurt yourself. For both cleaning tanks and sealing them I strap the sealed tank to the inside of my big tractor rear wheel then take the tractor for a spin around the farm. Looks goofy but it makes a credible tumbler for those gawky fuel tanks.

1965 Ranchero 66G and colnago like this.
  4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

some one on here used a cement mixer , but cutting grass and cleaning tank at the same time is a all-around winner !!!
    what ever it takes ,to getter done

5. John Roman

John Roman In Third Gear

I will have take it to work and strap it to a back hoe.

6. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

All right! I've been looking for a reason to buy a mid-40s or mid-50s Ford tractor! No, I don't need to seal a tank, but if I can convince SWMBO that I might;)

Joseph

7. Hillbilly

Just bungee an old tire to the wheel first to prevent damage to the fuel tank then strap the tank over the tire. A few driveway gravel tossed in the tank beforehand make excellent abrasives during the cleaning process. I'd hunt a Diamond Jubilee, 56 or newer to get the power take off that is independent of the rear wheels. Seen some impressive 8-N wrecks where the bushog pushed the tractor off bluffs even with the clutch depressed. They make an over running pto connector for those to prevent that but I really don't trust them. I use a 460 Utility International Harvester mostly but for big gawky tanks I use a high wheel 560 International. Mow around ten acres and the tank looks like it was sand blasted inside. Two birds with one stone deal.

Jeff B likes this.
  8. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Vinegar and time also works. Might try and find a radiator shop that knows what a metal radiator is and see if they can help you.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not all of us city slickers have a Back Forty to mow, but that is a great idea. "Wanted: farmer with mass acreage and old Cornbinder tractor to allow me to strap a fuel tank onto one wheel for cleaning/sealing purposes, while you mow/plow/cultivate. Will pay $50 toward fuel/coffee/smoke bill."

colnago and Hillbilly like this.
  10. Hillbilly

That is an excellently generous offer Andy. I chose those IH tractors because they both will run under normal load for nearly 24 hours on one 20 gallon tank of fuel. Not huge units like modern tractors but they are maneuverable in tight spaces and just large enough to do serious tasks on my 100 acres. Not as fast as the big monsters but you get plenty time to meditate when using them. $50 would go a long way like you said, day's worth of fuel and all the smokes and coffee you could stand. Think two days to finish a task v/s three hours for the hulking $600,000 monsters of today.
    I kinda' like my 1962 state of the art fossils. Wish cars were like those tractors, I can still get any part I want for them.

11. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

This guy has a Tractor, but doesn't know your trick.

andrewok1 likes this.
  12. Hillbilly

Noticed that big green agitator in the background, wonder why he hasn't put 2+2 together ? He also mentions using more gasoline in his process. Much safer to use Evapo-Rust products that aren't flammable and don't hurt the environment. He's young and has plenty energy to waste wrassling that tank, eventually he will think about my method.

Sonny and andrewok1 like this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Easier to use a butter churn, than to stir it.

14. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Eastwood also sells POR15 products so NO their Eastwood Tank sealer is their own brand of chemicals as they have to stand behind their brand of products.
    They sell POR15 but not responsible for that brands failures.
    I have had issues with POR15 rust encapulator so I really don't use their products and buy all Eastwood brand products with Zero failures in the many years of using their Restoration Products.
    I have used the Kreem too but didn't buy it and was purchased by owner of new gas tank I custom painted and wanted tank sealed inside.
    I have no idea if it held up over time as I only did the 1 tank and no longer in contact with the owner.

I do like all Eastwood brand products and wouldn't hesitate using their tank sealer as their chemist test their products before it goes on the market.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Hillbilly likes this.
  15. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

+ 1 on the Eastwood sealer.
    I used to restore antique Vespa motor scooters and used their sealer all the time.