Bed Rust (not under that panel)

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Spawn613, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

I'm going to look at a '72 Ranchero this weekend and hopefully bring it back home with me. The guy sent me a few pictures of it and there's a rusted out spot in the lower right rear quarter and those spot which I believe is near the tailgate. How easy is that area to repair and where can I find parts to do so? Dennis Carpenter or Dearborn Classics?

[​IMG]

2. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Not sure of anyone that sells replacement sheet metal for that area. That is below the rear window, not at the tailgate. Might want to check the floor pans pretty well. That hole would leak into the storage area behind the seat.

3. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

Freakin' crap. I was afraid that was the case if it was up at the front. I asked the guy if the floor pans were good and he told me they were, but I'll just have to see when I get there.

4. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I would take a real good look at the floor pans in that one. Matters how much of an investment you want to make.

5. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

The car is $1,500 with a 351 Cleveland and running. I think repairing some rust is worth it, no?

6. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

Found floor pans at c2cfabrication.com for $60 each. Not bad.

They're $80 on Autokrafters.

7. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Mig welder/ sawsall /.036 CRS sheet metal and let the hobby take its coarse.

8. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

Rust

Since that area is right over the cubby behind the seat you do want to check that area for sure as mentioned above. You can see that by looking up from underneath. I do not think the floor pan replacements go back as far as to replace the floor of the cubby since there is a body seam between the cab and the cubby. Still is would not be hard to replace if you can weld overhead. Also check behind the front wheels to look at the torque boxes. One side of mine had rusted completely away and had there not been one on the other side I would not have known it was missing. The rust in the bed should not be to hard to replace but remember there is sealer at the base of the cab between the bed and the cab. You will have to dig that out, or let it burn depending on how you remove the area.

9. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

IMHO its maybe worth a $1000.. that area is gonna be bigger than it shows and possibly other spots are gonna be a bitch get right, and how much more swiss cheese is under the paint and other hidden areas.???.. Unless it has really good trim, interior, and body parts I would pass on it and find another.. But thats me ,,you may like the challenge and that is gonna be one definitely

10. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

offer the person 400. bucks for it.

11. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

I was thinkin' 1k-1,100 since I'll most likely have to find a parts car. There's always the swap meet at Moultrie though ;D

12. Spawn613

Spawn613 In First Gear

Well, scratch everything I just said. I'm going to look at a 73, same engine, same price, newly repainted, new floorpans, can drive it home, jumping around the house cause I'm so excited that I found a better deal!

13. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Goodluck. Patience is key when looking for a cruck, that is for sure.

14. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

now your cooking! Good Luck with it.....