Ignition problem with falcon ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by heybuddy007, Apr 8, 2013.

1. heybuddy007

heybuddy007 In Second Gear

So I went out of town for ten days and came back and my chero decided it was gonna have all its problems at once. the Fuel sending unit went out the day I got home, then a random oil leak, and a bad coil. Now my main issue is that the started wants to re-engage while I am driving, so far I have tripled checked my coil wiring just to make sure something didn't get put on wrong, Put a new ground on my starter, and a new wire from the the starter to the starter relay. I just wondering if anyone had any Ideas on what might be causing this,

Its a 65 ranchero, 200 i6, 2speed ford-o-matic

Thanks

2. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Sounds to me like the starter relay itself might be tripping when you don't want it to, or maybe the ignition switch is sending a signal at the wrong time. I'd replace the solenoid and if that doesn't work go with the ignition switch.

3. heybuddy007

will do, its my daily driver, and nothing is worse than going 65 and hearing your starter re-engage , thanks for the input

4. 20footer

20footer In Third Gear

i agree with Havensole, some how it might be getting energized,
    and just a friendly reminder , i hate seeing 5 pounds of snit on a keyring hanging on the ignition key,,, not saying you do this, but some people do and then wonder why it all fails.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, that could ruin your whole day. Just an educated guess, I think it's somewhat more likely the ignition switch than the starter solenoid. But you could get some confidence in that by removing the energizer wire from the solenoid and temporarily using a remote starter switch. If that stops it then the problem is in the switch or the wiring, if it doesn't stop it then it's the starter solenoid.

It wouldn't be much work to install a separate starter pushbutton on the car -- an end-run around the problem.

6. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

For the cost of the parts I'd just replace both, but that's me. My 67 was a 50/50 daily driver back when I first got it. Once it died my PT became a full 100% DD, and then it died a few months after. Having a fairly stable DD is a big thing.

7. heybuddy007

The positive side of the solenoid was a little worn down thread wise, so I got a new one,and new switch, if that doesn't work I will just wire a push button in, o yea I only have my house key and the two keys for the car on it. Thanks for your help I hope it works

8. heybuddy007

it worked great for one day now the starter wont dis-engage, I had to hurry up and disconnect the battery to shut it off

9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds like a broken return spring in the starter.

10. heybuddy007

I had the starter check, and I took it apart to make sure everything inside of it is fine

11. burninbush

You couldn't just turn off the ignition? Guess it's time to replace the switch.

12. heybuddy007

yea I turned of the switch but the starter continued to run,I think Im gonna return the solenoid and try a new one, I already have a new ignition switch so Im running out of options right now

13. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Odd. Those are the only two things that should be engaging the starter. Really not likely but check your plug wires for cracks. Could be a really off chance that a spark is jumping to the solenoid or another wire that is engaging the starter.

14. 20footer

20footer In Third Gear

i think your solenoid's the problem, not the starter. happened to me once.

15. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Well now thinking about it, if it was engaging even after you turned off the key then that would pretty much point to the solenoid.

16. heybuddy007

I just ordered another new solenoid should be here tomorrow, Now just have to figure out what ignition is in my car, the switch I bought dosent look anything like the one in the car.

17. alfred9744

alfred9744 In Second Gear

had the same problem in a 64 squire wagon used to hit the fender with a ball peen hammer and it would stop.. was a bad ground. Took the solenoid off and cleaned where it bolts to the fender well. cured the problem

18. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Take a hard look at the bendix in that starter.;)

19. heybuddy007

Yea I took a good look at everything in the starter, Im going to summit racing to get a new ignition switch today, come to find out thats what I already had in there

20. burninbush

I urge you to put a pushbutton in there, even if only temporarily. If something in your harness is activating that solenoid, then a new switch won't solve it. You could go around and around and never find the real problem if not careful.