Transmission issue on 1999 Altima

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by vman76nj, Jun 3, 2013.

1. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

I thought I'd drop a question in here before I take the car to the shop. I'm not really looking to fix it myself, the problem is just weird and maybe one of you have some good insight as you all always do.

If you start the car it runs fine for 2 minutes. After those 2 minutes , the transmission just quits. No forward gears. If I shut the car off, and start it then it will immediately go again for 2-3 minutes. I did this 10 times to get the car home from her church over about 7 miles.

It's an automatic and it was replaced about 4 years ago. I've had a few failed transmission in the past but it was always an all or nothing type of deal or just some slippage.

I'm going to get a shop to look at it this week, but I just want to go in informed.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Check the fluid level if you haven't already.
    Do it with the engine warmed up and running.

3. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

Just checked and its topped off.

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Assuming it isn't slipping or misbehaving during the minutes when you can drive it, then it may be a computer issue. Do you have an OBDII reader? Might be something showing in that readout.

[I recently bought a gizmo to do an OBDII readout for my cars -- cost about $20, connects to a computer usb port. Will also clear check light on. I used mine recently to diagnose a failing cam position sensor in one of my Chryslers]

5. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

Do you happen to have a link to that? I'm an IT guy so I'm good with any gizmo that hooks up to a laptop...just not so experienced with cars lol. I wanted one anyway for '96 Blazer and my wife's 2006 Corolla. I was looking for a software based solution that I could hook up to a laptop, not the handheld readers.

I don't believe there was any slipping. It just quits after a while. Her check engine light is on though.

I might pickup a Haynes manual and see if there are any parts of the trans that might cause this.

6. Lord Snow

Lord Snow In Fourth Gear

Definitely sounds like either a computer issue or a loose connection. If it's the computer, it's not something you can fix at the house. Car manufacturers are extremely picky as to who messes with their PCM's.

Just to be sure, when you checked the transmission fluid was it still pink, or did it look dirty and smelled burnt?

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The computer can put the transmission into neutral?
    I am aware of some systems that go into 'limp mode', keeping the transmission in second gear in a system failure condition, but not any that can shift the tranny out of gear.
    Will it go into reverse?
    If not, it sounds like a hydraulic pressure problem, if it does, then a problem with the primary band or clutch.

8. burninbush

Just look on ebay for OBDII readers (and look also for OBD-2). There are many brands, probably all have the same chipset inside. You may still need a manual of some kind to get a listing of your car's full set of codes. I have a Haynes book for my cars, indispensable.

In my case I was nearly sure I had a failing fuel pump, car was missing under load. Turned out to be that sensor, $40 and an hour's work to get to it.

Believe this is the same model as mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-USB-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5d3ef3220b&vxp=mtr

9. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

Thanks , I ordered it off Amazon since I love using them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FEGP7I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is open source software for it and I'm a huge fan of open source tools.

http://www.obdtester.com/pyobd

Got next day shipping so maybe I can get some more info from that check engine light.

10. burninbush

I'm into linux too, but you'll need a Windows box to use the apps supplied with the tool. Mine came with a half-dozen apps and a crack tool for one that they probably didn't have the right to distribute. The live data readout is pretty interesting, and I think one of those included apps is a 'dragstrip in a box' thing.

Didn't come with any instructions -- be sure to also install the supplied comport driver. Win7 and XP here both want to use com4 (fake, through the usb port). If you have trouble getting it to recognize the car is attached, check the comport setting.

11. vman76nj

vman76nj In Third Gear

Good to know. I dual boot Linux and XP on my laptop so I'll try them both out. Luckily, I hook my laptop to devices via the comport daily so that part should come easy. The transmission part, that's another story.