Track data comparison

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Davidpower, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Davidpower

Davidpower In Second Gear

Hi out there! I tried the G-tech meter in my ranchero and it told me just 250 RWHP.... but besides I now Know exactly that I got a valve-spring-pressure problem I would like to know how your Rancheros do it on the 1/4 mile and how much power you got. So i could figure out whats going on inside my engine.
    Yeah throw the facts at me!

2. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

This has been a hard topic to draw hits to, I have tried here and on my local bb with little luck. Anyway, I have a '71 with a 240 hp at the flywheel, and with the spare and stuff in it, (which I take out at the track) it weighs 1715 kg or 3450 lbs. I haven't dyno'd it or anything, I am just spouting stock spec for a '71 H-code 351 Cleveland--and as we know, Cleveland Rocks! I ran a best of 17.091s at 78.007mph. C-6 auto, once rebuilt on warranty for the "clunky reverse engagement" problem. 2.75:1 open diff(H*ll ya, it smokes "the" tire)! With absolutely dismal reaction times I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore, 0.408s! At 60' the clock stopped at an improving 2.464 seconds, and that too was a car best. It isn't really fast, but it's fun and everyone likes the old stuff. [​IMG]

3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Weight is your enemy. Cars as heavy as a Ranchero need mega HP to get good times. Its simply weight to HP ratio. I have seen a 73 Bone stock CJ (Cleveland 4v open chamberd heads run about 14.99 not bad for all the weight and it was a Manual tranny.

4. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

I agree, my experience is with fox-Mustangs mostly, so the Chero was a cool ride on the 1/4. Back to the weight idea, in a mustang lack of weight is your enemy. So in the end my five-liter ran 14.20's, and still only had 2.1 and 2.2 second 60' times. That says alot, the 5.0 had 225 hp plus a k&n etc, and 3.73's. So traction on the Chero ruled, and the weight killed me from the hundred foot mark on--to my 17 second pass. The Chero can keep up with stock 5.0's off the line (before being eaten), but it would take some serious beans to muscle this hulk up to a hundred miles an hour so 13's are not in my budget. This post is for you David, I just wanna cruise it so I don't bust anything--not that I'm against abusing cars for the intensive purpose of senseless enjoyment, right Liquid? Long live musclecars and tire-smoke! :cool:

5. 351TT

351TT Guest

on the whole weight thing, anyone know how to lighten the old girl up, I'm working on TT thing and I need to shave some weight the Atkins thing just isnt working. also anyone know what it takes to get the chero in the 13's, Horse power wise? I now alot of other things come in to factor but just an guess.
    I did a computer calculator, i dont know how much faith i put into'em but it said for a 4100lbs car i need almost 580flywheel HP

6. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

Well once you have the horsepower to do it, the next prob will be the traction. It is a truck, and while I don't know for sure, I am assuming it is a little front heavy. I think 13's should be attainable with a freindly 400 or 450 hp, that a twin turbo 351 should spin easy. Just remeber some street slicks. And if I recall you have a '72 so you aren't saddled with leaf springs like me. So some racing shocks in the back, and some 90/10 shocks up front would go a long, long way. I believe that twins and slicks will bust 13's for you easy.

7. 351TT

351TT Guest

The shocks are already in, i have my M/T street ET's on my mustang 15" rims, but they are 4 bolt, I know i need to do the 5 bolt convestion, but anyway the tires will mount on my ranchero rims just fine. I'm projecting will in the 450HP im thinking even 500Hp but i will have it dyno'ed before the turbos, after i do the engine parts swap and rebuild I like to run'em for about 500mi to make sure the seals hold and no internal problem before adding turbo's, because one thing i have learned about custom turbo fab is their a bitch to get out to do repair. and i want to see my total HP gain by turbo's, I know its going to be a dog with out because of the low Comp ratio.
    BTW its a 75 but still no leaf springs
    yah i have a member rating, but still worthless :( well i half to go gas up and make sure their running good for tonight.

[ June 26, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: 351TT ]

8. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

ya, member ratings are cool, your welcome. Yes, I'm fishin here. hint, poke, prod.lol.

[ June 26, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: sask50guy ]

9. Davidpower

First for the weight: my 73 Ranchero isn´t even complete and makes 1740 kg. I must add about 100 kg until I could declare it a car . And I threw everything out that wasn´t really needed (no carpets or wiper/motor dashboard aluminium no air condition no fresh air blower no tailgate no side windows no bumpers. Its really LOUD inside!.Desktop dyno rated my setup to 350 hp but i will install harder valve springs because it doesn´t rev more than 4300...It has stiffer dampers and 2 inch shorter rear dampers with custom springs (that are 3 kg lighter than stock but harder).put the battery behind drivers seat and will put on a ligther front bumper because the original weights 52 kg!! To remove more weight you have to fabricate plastic or aluminium doors (they are really heavy !) and maybe a plastic hood.But its no race car at least.

10. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

G-techs rate pretty conservative don't they? I've been thinking about my uncle's 460 in a truck, and my buddy's 429 also in a truck. My uncles is stock, and the intake and cam are pretty much out of breath by 4500, but my buddy blew the bucks on an Edelbrock and headers to full 3" exhaust. It revs 5000 easy and probably more if we only knew someone brave enough to find out. lol. I dunno, aren't you [David] the engine builder around here? Hey, when I get beat I just think to myself," ya, you just wait till I slam into the back of you 'cause this thing's to heavy to stop, we'll see who's laughing then!" haha.

11. Davidpower

Hey sask50guy,
    now I got the harder valve springs and an adjustable dizzy rotor and the engine revs happily over 5k. Set the limiter to 5500 so from 5300 on engine starts missing but thats ok. Sounds a bit racy now my old ranchero, hehe...
    next time I´ll try to make some G-tech tests so I could tell my 1/4mile time and such. Yeees traction is a real problem althoug I got bigger tires on the rear.could smoke them with a hard clutch-in in the 3rd gear from a standing start.leaves no tire marks but lots of smoke and smell.So 1st gear is useless for 1/4 mile and it makes about 98 mph in third gear.I´m trying to get my car faster than yours. 17.091s? I´ll try.

12. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

98 mph should be good for mid 14's, even in your heavy cruiser. All that low-end torque should allow you to let the clutch go at a respectably low rpm, offering you traction and enough low-end grunt to peel ashphault off the road! haha. My bet is 14.740s at 100mph-good luck David. :D

13. Davidpower

It doesn´t make 98 mph in third gear after a 1/4 mile, it could do 98 if i got a road long enough.
    My personal guess is 15.5 or 16 s, lets see...