Proportioning valve

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Afternoon all,finally got to replacing front drum brakes to disc,got a kit from chocostang,honestly pedal doesn’t feel much different,but I know it’s better,my question is:the proportioning valve has a dial to increase/decrease,didn’t expect that,how do I determine if it needs to be increased/decreased?i went on line and they sell disc/drum proportioning valves that don’t have a dial,would it be worth the 50.00 to get one without the dial?as always thanks for any help or suggestions you can send my way

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As I recall, the Chockostang instructions say to count how many turns from one direction to the other, and set it halfway in between as a starting point. You can confirm that by calling or emailing them; they always respond.

Ric likes this.
  3. Ric

Ric In First Gear

4. Saff54

Is that what you have BB?iguess my biggest concern is how do you know if there is an issue?can the brakes lock up?ill call Chocko stang tomorrow

5. Ric

Ric In First Gear

Thanks, I haven’t got to that part of the instructions yet!

6. Saff54

A friend did the install,he never mentioned that at all

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, and I'm sure they sent you the same one. It works fine, no worries; I've set slightly to the front bias (meaning rear 'decrease') after the halfway point. Here's mine:

M_C plumbing.jpg

T16592 likes this.