LED Lighting Upgrade for my 72

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dave Reginek, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Dave Reginek

Dave Reginek In Second Gear

I am attempting to switch all my interior-exterior lights to LED. I'm holding off on the headlights until I get these in and all working. I'm working thru the interior lights slowly be surely. Waiting on a few more LED's to arrive, turn signals (green). Started on the side light markers front and rear...all good.
    Front turn signals... CHECK...Working.
    Went to the rear and put in the red LED's and they light and the brake lights work but no turn signals.
    No reverse lights but they didn't work before so I have to track down that problem...could be a number of things. Low on my issues list at this point.
    I bought all my lights online from Super Bright LED's Their web site is very user friendly and helped dial me in for which ones I needed. They talk about a "Hyper Flash" issue that occurs sometimes and offer a couple different fixes.... but I'm not getting any flashing in the rear and it causes my front ones to stop working to.
    Anyone else run into this? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The standard flasher relay requires a fair amount of resistance in the circuit to operate. LEDs are very low resistance, so they don't allow the relay to operate. You can buy resistors that have heat sinks, and they install on-line with the turn signal/brake power wire at the lamp. You'd need four, if you intend on doing front amber LEDs.

Dave Reginek likes this.
  3. Dave Reginek

The fronts work until I put the rear LED's in and it stops. I'm looking at these flash modules on Super Bright LED's
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835/

4. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Superbright is a great supplier. I have been using them for years.
    But you do need to switch your flashers to led compatable electronic units. Again I bought mine from superbright also.

Dave Reginek likes this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

I wonder which would be cheaper, the flasher, or the resistors?

Dave Reginek likes this.
  6. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I would replace the flasher first. On my '64, I replaced the flasher & didn't need the resistors. Same on my MG.

Dave Reginek likes this.
  7. Dave Reginek

Just ordered 2 flasher units.

8. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Some flashers are for LEDs and you can also try a Heavy Duty flasher from you local Parts O Rama. HD flashers are built to flash at the same rate regardless of load like when you add a trailer to the circuit. I used a LED flasher and diodes on my bike to use incandescent and LEDs.

Dave Reginek likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

Do you have a link or source, and how much were they?

Dave Reginek likes this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

Never mind, I saw your other post.

Dave Reginek likes this.