Tranny Bolt Pattern

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 74_rancho500, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 74_rancho500

74_rancho500 In First Gear

I was wondering if the C6 that is bolted up to my 351c shares the small block bolt pattern or the big block.

2. Rockdodger

Rockdodger In Third Gear

Small block C-6 bolt pattern

Your 351C most likely uses the small block C-6 bolt pattern. An easy check is the distance between the top two trans to engine bolts. Small block is about 5 inches, while big block is around seven. Count yourself lucky if you have a c-6 and not an FMX as I do.

3. 74_rancho500

So that c6 would bolt up to a 302 or 351w? Does the 351c also share the same motor mount locations as the 302/351w?

4. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Yes it does, this is a bit different, but I am currently running a 5.0 or 302 sfi approved bellhousing on my c4 on my cleveland.

5. 74_rancho500

I was just thinking that I could pull the 351c out and stick in a 351w that I have, so I can open up and see what kind of shape this engine is in. But I didn't know what kind of compatibility I was looking at between the two.

6. DMB

DMB In Second Gear

The only problem I had when going from a 351W to a 351C was the passenger side exhaust manifold exit was in a different location. Everything else bolted up no problem.

7. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

Unless you have something unusual going on under the hood it will be a straight swap. The headers or manifolds on a 302 will sit a little lower than the cleveland, and the headers/manifolds on the 351W will sit a little higher. Good luck, take plenty of pictures, and hopefuly that cleveland gets back to where it belongs.