Hello from CA/AZ border, Colorado River, 1972 Q code Churro

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by HOONING, Apr 25, 2019.

1. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

The 72 has always been my favorite ride. The one I own was a family friends who used to let me take hot laps around the block 20+ years ago before I was legal to drive. When the old man passed who owned/loved the car dearly, the family decided I should get first shot at purchasing my dream car. Low and behold I traded a Porsche 944 turbo for the Ranchy straight across, best trade I ever made. So glad to have found a Ranchero board online. Howdy All!

[​IMG]

My old Torino I fixed up and sold [​IMG]

Survivor [​IMG]

Holley Sniper EFI is next! [​IMG]

2. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

3. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

4. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

Learning how to link the photos, cheers

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Is the Torino also yours? It looks like it had been wrecked quite a few years ago, then repaired.

6. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

Yeah, the 71 Brougham I bought fir 1200 and fixed er up. Owned it for about 10 years and sold. New owner is putting a super HP drive train under the ol grocery getter.

7. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome!,

Nice ride man! I have a 72 Q-code 351cj Ranchero Squire. It's awesome and I love it so I know how you feel. Every once and a while I decide to sell it but when I take it for one last ride I change my mind everytime!

Holley Sniper EFI is on my to-do list for next year. This year is air ride suspension. What kind of motor do you have.

-Mike

8. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Welcome! Lots of good info and great people here!

Cheers,

Doc

9. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome and cool looking ride! Where abouts on the river are you? I used to do a lot of bass fishing down there launching from Fischer's Landing (next to Martinez).

10. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

nice ride. i too have a 72. i have often read of Q code cars but i don't know what its means.

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

351 4 Barrel carburetor engine - the big difference over the 2 barrel carbureted engines was the cylinder heads were different with HUGE valves and the camshaft had a lot of lift and duration. Basically a "high performance" engine of the time, not the highest possible performance by any stretch. They were comparably more powerful over the run of the mill engines of the time. If it makes a difference to you comparison wise, the 'R' code (351 4V H.O. - "High Output" had solid lifters) was the top factory engine in the Cleveland Family, then the 'Q' code (351 4V "Cobra Jet" hydraulic lifters), then the 'H' code (351 2V hydraulic lifters and small valves). The "Cobra Jet" was Ford leveraging the name from the earlier use in the 428 and 429 engines of the late 1960's.

Opinions abound on this topic - and you can start a chat on this topic that will result in the inevitable forum arguments pro and con.

12. FrenchFan

FrenchFan In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I like the combo orange with silver stripes, welcome Hooning.

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Welcome to the forum, Porsche for a Chero, not sure about that.

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I dunno, I traded an '84 Cavalier convertible for my '74 Squire. A car for a car, no money changes hands, so who's to argue? And since the guy I traded the Cavalier to, my friend George, bought the Squire off of an ex-GF of his for $500, I put the Squire's worth at that, back then.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

Awesome, I bass fish all the time here in Blythe, I will be going to Walter's Camp next week and doing a venture down river into Picacho, love this stretch of river. I sometimes fish the Parker Strip and Havasu.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Basstrix likes this.
  16. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

The Porsche needed alot of work, leaked oil like an ol Harley and I would much rather turn wrenches on an American car personally, everything in them cars is far too cramped for my liking. That aside, I do admire the 50/50 weight distribution and how nimble they perform in the corners.

17. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

Now that's a trade! Love the Squire trim!

18. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Hooning!Fishmouth for a fisherman,how fitting.Iam just north of Vegas,good to have ya aboard.

19. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

That will be pretty cool to have air ride on your ride, I put air ride on a 73 chero 20 years ago, I'd be interested to see how you integrate or fit the front shocks in with the bags since there is little room up front. As far as my engine goes, she's a pretty much stock 351C-4V Cobra Jet. I'm running an aluminum BeCool radiator and a two speed fan from a 94 Mustang. One wire high amperage alternator. I installed a Gear Vendors overdrive recently behind the C6 and that has made the car a long distance beast! So my transmission has a transmission. I have had the same dilemma at times, I get tired of watching her sit and kicked the idea of sale. Every time I get behind the wheel and float down an old dirt road shootin gravel or just putting down the highway my mind is made that I could never let this thing go, I know the feeling!

20. HOONING

HOONING In First Gear

Thanks for all the warm welcome y'all, Cheers!