Stock 73 fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Forrest, Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Not overkill:D. I ran just one filter for a while and still was getting crap deposits in the carb. 2 really soves the issue

2. FordR500GT

Also, @Forrest just replace the mechanical pump. If you're taking it off, then you might as well just replace it. I was chasing down the same problems for 2 months. I ended up pulling the tank and replcaing it with a newer one, but really only meeded a pump. (NEW ONES CAN BE DEFECTIVE) As well if you have one, use an air compressor to blow out the fuel lines. Disconnect the line to the pump and the line from the tank, and blow some air through.

Forrest likes this.
  3. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Nice this sounds like it should do it. I hope. I need to drive this thing already! Haha

4. FordR500GT

Its a quite easy job. To make it easier you can renove the ps pump from its bracket to access the pump better

5. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Alright so I switched it out. Added two fuel filters and it seems to be running better. Same stuff at first but then I flogged it around town and it seemed to run like it should although the fuel psi is still low. Started at 3psi then went to like 2 3/4 psi so I’m not sure what going on with that since I saw a rating of 4 the other day then zero. I have a clear fuel filter up to to make sure things are getting through. The gas looks clear and there is little debris

6. FordR500GT

Are there any kinks or stong bends in the fuel line? May want to look into correcting that. One other thing Ii can think of is the pickup sock in the fuel tank. They can fall apart with time and clig the lines which will cause problems. It's also easy to remove, can be done under the car. ( if you do this, make sure tank is comepletely empty)

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Or use a couple cinch straps to support the tank in order to lower and tilt the tank (still needs to be nearly empty though).

8. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

I haven’t noticed anything weird. I think I’ll run through this tank and then drop the sending unit and use a flashlight to check the inside of the tank. Not to totally jinx myself it seems to be running okay ... at the moment. I’m sure it’ll act up. One other strange thing I noticed is I used to be able to pump the pedal twice in the morning and it would fire right up and go into auto choke. Now it sounds like it will want to start but dies immediately. I have to really rev it up to get it going..

9. handy_andy_cv64

You're in Denver, and fuel blends for temperature and altitude are very different. It's possible you are getting less fuel because of an undiagnosed delivery problem, but, to try to rule out a fuel quality problem, try pumping fully and slowly, twice, and to the floor, then crank the engine. If it starts and runs, stays running, you might want to make a change to the accelerator pump setting, see if pumping more makes the initial fire-up better.

10. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Leaving work today I did no pumps at all, then when I turned the key I hit the gas pedal and it fired right up. I still haven’t totally ruled out dirty carb but least I’m on my way

11. handy_andy_cv64

A dirty or gummy carb can lead to a sticky needle-and-seat in the float bowl. Carb users do neglect to service those unless they rebuild the carb. I may have missed it, but which carb do you have?

12. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

It’s and edlebrock 1406, I’m sure it’s in need of a cleaning and a new air filter for sure.

13. handy_andy_cv64

That model, the accelerator pump should also be looked at if you do the needle and seat job. Any small tear in the diaphragm reduces the amount and pressure of each shot.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Being a "cheap fix first guy", I'd try some fuel system cleaner, like Techron, Lucas, STP, etc. I'm a big fan of Berryman products too.

Hillbilly likes this.
  15. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I have an Edelbrock 1405 in my F250. Same thing (mostly), but a manual choke instead. A few years ago, the accelerator diaphragm got a big tear, and she was impossible to start until I got it replaced. You can replace it without taking the carb apart, too.

Joseph

Forrest likes this.
  16. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Would the fuel system cleaner help with slickening up the carb parts or did you mean just in general? I’ll look into the diaphragm too

17. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

F53442A0-CFDD-492E-94D4-F7B7E0352E04.jpeg

Good to be driving around again though even if it does act up.

FordR500GT likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

That's an interesting scheme...I hadn't yet seen your rig in its entirety.

19. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

That’s what she said. But in all seriousness it looks like a really long Subaru brat haha

20. handy_andy_cv64

Without the bed seats...which I rode in once.

Just once.

Forrest likes this.