'62 bench seat stud size?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 60To63Ranchero, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Greetings Ranchero Fans,

As part of my interior overhaul, I picked up a bench seat out of another '62. I believe it was original to that vehicle. I'm working on making brackets for it now, but I can't seem to find nuts that fit the studs built into the bottom of the seat (technically, the studs are built into rails that are part of the seat adjustment mechanism).

Has anyone here installed or reinstalled the bench seats in a round body? Could those studs be metric (I haven't checked that yet) ?

Thank you,
    Bob the Builder

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I would bet they aren't metric in a '62 Ford. Try 5/16-18 or 3/8-16. Those are standard coarse threads. Or, 5/16-24 or 3/8-24 if they look like fine thread.

3. heybuddy007

heybuddy007 In Second Gear

I just put a new bench seat into my 65 and all the bolts where 5/16-8 came off with a 1/2 wrench.

4. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine are fine thread for sure, just don't recall if they are 5/16 or 3/8".

5. sponder

sponder In First Gear

my 62 is 5/16" fine thread

6. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

You might need to take a die and clean up the threads.

7. heybuddy007

heybuddy007 In Second Gear

I bought a cheap seat for my 65 from the junkyard, the brackets off the new seat wouldnt work so I had to re-use my old brackets, the threads were really messed. I went down to the parts store bought new hardware. It takes 5 minutes to grind out the old studs and put new ones in.

not a permant seat but its alot better than what was in there, and for 20 bucks I cant complian

8. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Stud size on '62 bench seat

It turns out to be 5/16"-24 (NF). I also needed to clean the threads with a wire brush and some WD-40. Thank you for all of the input!

Bob the Builder