Need help with starter

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Drew, Apr 23, 2018.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Yes, That is pretty bad. You're grounding out a cable with positive power. That may be causing your problems. (or a fire)

Try insulating the terminal

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Bend the tab on the end of the cable in a vice or vice grips. That starter is designed for a different type of cable end, but modifying that onw will work.
    Don't insulate under it as the insulation will wear down and lead to a short.

3. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

It's only meant for a temporary solution (troubleshooting)

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

BAD YES
    and it could be your problem with the starter not turning
    You may have blown out the solenoid with a direct short to ground

5. Drew

Drew In First Gear

I broke that metal to metal connection and the same thing happens when I turn the key: a very sad "clunk" sound.

I am fearful I blew the starter again with that rookie mistake!

Can you guys help me understand this part?

What wire is it exactly and where do I connect it on the starter.

What else could I try??

I am very much looking forward to the moment when the engine turns over and the Green Demon surges to life once more!

Please help me get across the finish line!!!

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Try going down to a local shop and talk to them and tell them you would like to use their services in the future but would prefer to drive it in and not have it towed. Ask if any of his mechanics could use some extra money and stop by after work. I do that with one of my employees, he picks up a little cash and I usually pick up a customer. Worth a try.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Don't forget to have some ice cold beer waiting for him, couldn't hurt. He should also be able to jump the starter first to insure that you didn't fry it.

8. ribald1

I agree. You are having trouble understanding what needs to be done and would be best of with a knowledgeable person there in the flesh and blood rather than on the other side of your screen.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

You're just mad because I thought about it first. LOL Thanks for the support, there seems to be a consensus that we are at odds with each other. Edited version, first version stopped at (You're just mad because I thought about it first).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's the way to develop a friendship- poke 'em in the eye when they agree with you...

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Forgot about people being so touchy in here, it was meant in jest, I actually appreciated the agreement. I will go back and edit to keep the peace.

12. ribald1

You should have asked me rather than taking a vote on it.
    Anyway, I am only at odds with people who hang on to being wrong or are idiots, and there is a lot of overlap in both groups, but you don't tend to stay for very long in either category.

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Didn't know I needed to ask for permission to address the PC police.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If that is directed towards me, I'm not the PC police. It just seems that your history is combative, and I don't get why. So, how are your Rancheros coming along? I'm actually really interested in both.

15. ribald1

He just comes of that way sometimes, actually he cares more about what people think of him than most do.
    Being in construction I am around a lot of guys that if they stop giving you a hard time it is because they don't like you, so I see his posts a little differently than one from a different environment would.
    He's good in my book.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

It was,and has been much better, without someone poking the hornet's nest, as for the 65 it is stagnant, still trying to get my stepson more involved, right now keeping him alive has taken precedence. It is still up on my lift at the home shop. The only progress is my the donor is off the lift, almost completely stripped, still need to flip it and pull the rest of the parts. It's a shame to because the cab from doors up are close to pristine.

17. Drew

Drew In First Gear

It is unfortunate this forum devolved into 'go pay for help'!

Sounds like a couple of tweaks could fix the starter issue and get my car running.

Anyone have further advice?

18. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Drew do not take offence at the suggestion to get actual hands on help. and again no offence intended but if you do not have the knowledge to know that grounding out the positive battery cable is a bad thing. It will be damn near impossible to direct you on how to trouble shoot the starter circuit over the internet,

19. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yes, remove the starter, bring it to the place that built it (or you bought it) have them check it IN FRONT OF YOU (so you KNOW it works) then go back and reinstall, check for power, check the battery, etc.
    Then go back to the top of the thread and go through everything again. You'll find it.

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I hope you don't get discouraged with the forum. There are many folks on here that are knowledgeable and willing to help, but the wording of posts may rub you the wrong way. If you think "think skin" you'll be fine. I truly believe every contributor (that I've encountered) has good intentions in mind.

FYI, a hot (meaning a + connection connected to a power source...battery....) that is obviously contacting a ground will usually result in some sort of damage and is an indication of someone that lacks familiarity with basic electrical knowledge. We all make mistakes, so I will always give the benefit of the doubt, but this is a serious mistake that can result in a burned car...or worse,...burned house. 2nd FYI, I doubt your starter is dead as a result of this mishap....probably your relay is the culprit...which...you don't really need with this starter. Wire around it (as was described in prior post) and you should be able to get this baby crankin'.

Again, please be patient with the forum...we all mean well, and I think we all enjoy helping fellow Ranchero owners :)