67 Ranchero Z code

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by tods67, Sep 9, 2019.

1. tods67

tods67 In First Gear

Looking for thoughts on a 67 XL 500 Z code that may not have the original motor. Im interested in buying it but have noticed in pictures that it has a two barrel carb on it. As I understand the Z code is a 4V. The air cleaner is labeled 390. Would the proper air cleaner for that year be labeled with 390 4V? Where do I find the engine stamp for the motor? Will that stamp decode which 390 it is, if it even is a 390? What are the chances that the carb was changed out with the manifold?
    If indeed it is the wrong motor how much impact would it have on a otherwise very nicely restored car?
    Thank you!

2. Ric

Ric In First Gear

Link to the pictures? Curious , I purchased a 64 1 year ago that I’m working on. Good luck!

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Hard to determine Displacement without measuring bore and stroke.Casting# on block/heads will give you the year/date block was born.
    Here is good read,lot of info on the web.http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/interchange11.html
    Is this a low production XL with buckets?Does the seller claim all original,numbers matching?Whats he asking,got a link?

4. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

390's are hard to figure out. Check FE forum for more FE info. i believe head casting C6 numbers should be located in betweent the two center spark plug holes. head date code may be under valve cover. Block code i think is behind the starter. the "352" on the front of block on driver side is standard on most FE's. the crank casting number will tell you stroke. (352, 390, 428) to get a 410, you would swap a 428 crank into a 390 block. Fairlane and Mustang based 390's had different exhaust bolt pattern as well. note the dropped exhaust bolt hole on the end cylinders. They may be 14 or 16 bolt configurations.
    more info here
    http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/interchange11.html
    Z code should be 4V. Air cleaner should say 390. not sure about 4v on the decal. keep in mind, there were no GT's in 67. standard, 500, and 500 XL models. GT's were for Fairlane car only, but parts obvuously interchange.
    XL's had bucket seats and center console and deluxe interior. add ons were disc brakes, power steering, AC etc. All FE's came with 9" rearend. Look for VIN on driver door and radiator support under the weatherstrip molding.
    XL 500's are pretty rare with all options and manual trans.