Lift springs

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 74Chero, May 31, 2021.

1. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Hello. I'm wondering if they make lift springs for the 74 ranchero. If so where can I get them from.

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I got a set of new 460 frt. springs you can have.Too much spring for 5.0. light weight.You got to road trip to Pahrump to pick em up.

3. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Ok cool I would have to plan that out. What could I do for the rear to lift it to not have to run the air shocks? What vehicle could I get them from or buy them for?

4. LSChero

I may have new air shocks as well.Air bags is the way to go,but pricey.Did you put the 351W in or still got 400?

5. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

351w is in it now. I have air shocks on the back right now but want to get away from them and find some springs that will make the back sit higher so tires don't rub. I'm looking to put taller tires all corners.

6. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

7. LSChero

Nice!Sometime I wished I went with 351W roller,a visit to gas pumps brings me back to my senses.What heads are those?

8. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Edelbrock E-Street heads, rpm Air Gap intake, hooker long tube headers with x pipe and magnaflow stainless mufflers, lunati voodoo cam, Summit 600 CFM carb, now MSD pro billet distributor, Hughes 2000 stall, 3.55 rear gears.

9. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Not liking the rear gears. Highway rpm suck.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

11. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Try a taller rear tire - every inch in height will drop RPM by about 250 or so. Not to mention it will raise the rear.

12. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

13. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

I'm looking into putting taller tires. Not sure what the tallest I can go

14. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I used a set of 74 Lincoln town car springs for the front and a set of Lincoln Mark IV springs for the rear on my 79 ranchero (same chassis as your 74) running P225/70R15 on the front and P255/70R15s on the rear. will pull the car right up!
    [​IMG]

15. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Awesome do you remember what engine option for the town car you bought the springs for?

16. Dan the ranchero man

towncars of that era are all 460 cid engines with C6 transmissions. Now the car pictured also has a 460.

17. Dan the ranchero man

Your car I see has a 351W a set of ranchero 460/w ac springs would do what you want or a set of 76 T bird 460 springs would as well and not be to crazy stiff in front. what i have might give your car that F 450 feel :eek:.

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Look for a Town Car up thru 1976 to 1979 with a 400 cid engine if you want slightly lighter front springs.

19. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

I was thinking about stock 6.6L Ranchero front springs. I really want to get away from the air shocks in the back because it rides like crap but I have to have them otherwise my tires rub

20. LSChero

Yeh,400 springs should give front inch or so lift.Springs i bought were for 72 merc BB wagon.Way to much spring,upper control arm were riding on bump stops.Was going to cut a round off but went with new 302 springs and she sets levelish now with progressive rear springs and KYB shocks.
    Pic is with 351C still in.
    img]https://www.super[motors.net/getfile/619558/fullsize/picture-003.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    BB springs on top.