68/69 Hood scoop on a non-GT?

Discussion in 'Ranchero History' started by Boiler92, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I really like the look of the hood scoop on the 68 and 69's but have only seen them on GT's.

My 69 is a base model without a hood scoop and I don't want to make a "fake", "clone" or "tribute". I would however put a scoop on it if I could find one and it was an option on non-GT cars as this excerpt from Wikipedia suggests:
    Screenshot_20220429-134357_Chrome.jpg

Is Wiki correct?

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ford didn't care, if you had the money, they would put the scoop on for you. Pretty sure that for a little extra jingle they would add the turn signal indicators at the rear of the scoop too.

Boiler92 likes this.
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm starting to find that the parts one wants, are not necessarily local to them, requiring going those long miles to have them shipped in. Hopefully, you can find what you need without trouble, but don't be disappointed if you cannot find things local to you.

Boiler92 likes this.
  6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I'll just ask a dumb question here: aren't all the extra hood scoops fake? Blocked at the rear of the opening? Not counting the 70-71 with 429 ram-air motors.

Beer Belly, your pictured hoods have been reworked.

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You'll have to ask the seller if the hoods have been reworked; they sure look like factory stampings to me.

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

They look factory stamped to me as well. Most people removed the cross section from the center of the hole to increase air flow.

Seen many 68/69 non-GT's with scoops on them. They usually don't have the hole in the hood either. Just wanted the exterior appearance of the scoop.

Boiler92 likes this.
  9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

No the 69/70 scoops are not blocked. The non functional scoops had a rubber seal behind the grille and no holes in the hood except for the turn singles

10. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

As has been stated the scoop was for whoever wanted to pay for it. Blocked on non functional as stated.
    The hoods in add with 4 pie cuts and oval cuts are factory. Ovals are for getting to light bulbs for turn signal lights in back of scoop, these were done on factory installs even for non functional scoops. The 4 pie cuts being factory some have been cut out by people thinking they might stop the flap on ram air units from opening. Not sure if Ford started doing that later or not.

Boiler92 likes this.
  11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

This is new info to me, and I appreciate hearing about it. How did Ford deal with water getting in through the scoop? What was the airflow under the hood?

I have personal info about this ('71 with un-blocked scoop) -- don't ever park it without an air cleaner installed.

12. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

My base of air cleaner has 2 "drain holes 3/16" - 1/4" in size. one front and one rear. Air flow under hood pretty much standard snorkel. Note the filter and lid are smaller diameter than base. Pic may help show this. Pic doesn't have black top cover /flapper and seal to hood in this pic.
    Not going to swear to it but I seem to remember the shaker assemblies have 2 tubes off back bottom of air cleaner to drain water.

Attached Files:

13. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Now I have to go look~! Don't recall drain holes in my breather, or in the cover. YEP! They are there.
    I always just considered it a minor water injection system... never had an issue with enough water to be an issue, getting in there

14. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

As long as your running and get some water in there, it makes a nice steam clean of combustion chamber !

plumcolr and PonyExpressRider like this.
  15. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I recently purchased a second '72 ranchero. Now I have one with with hood scoop and one without. The one with hood scoop is just a parts car and the hood has a bunch of rust. I would like to cut the scoop out and weld it into the good hood. Anyone done this before? I would love to see some photos. Any advice is much appreciated

16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's been done many times, it's the same as welding in patches to replace rusted areas. But, as md dad would say, "Measure twice, then cut one.":eek:

17. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I have '70 500 and a GT hood and a hideaway grill. It's not a GT or a Squire, just what I like.