Learned something new today

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by beerbelly, Aug 5, 2022.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

About tires:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 1.57.22 PM.png
    I definitely remember seeing those on some of my old tires, but didn't know what they were.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I just had a spare mounted. The guy at the shop didn't know what the dots were & thought I was crazy to even suggest that the yellow dot should match with the stem. & now I have 6 weights on the rim.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A friend smarter than me knew it too:
    Yes the red or yellow dot is supposed to be mounted close to the valve stem hole, but many don’t either know it or just don’t care when mounting tires all day long.

MarkB likes this.
  4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

absolutely correct !!

5. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Thanks for the info. Now I gotta go out and check the one with the red dot I just noticed a couple of days ago.

6. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Red dot takes precedence over yellow dot. Should be even with valve stem. If no red, then yellow to valve stem.

pmrphil likes this.
  7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Checked my new tires one red (orange?) dot, one yellow (out of 4). Both dots are placed trailing the valve stem by about 90, both have a crapload of weights 180 to the valve stem. I'm guessing the tire dealers are having a hard time getting help, 'cause I ordered the tires which came in less than 3 days, but appointment for install took 2 weeks. They are balanced OK even if incorrectly mounted. Very smooth all the way to 80 (LTs, ford expedition)

8. Monk Daveohue

Monk Daveohue In Second Gear

Is the hole in the wheel presumed to be the lightest part of the wheel or the heaviest?
    So a hole weights less than no hole but a valve stem weighs more than either...
    I suspect matching up dots with valve stem holes is a waste of time and trying the wheel and tire combo in different positions is just more effort than a tire guy is willing to do unless it is on his own car rather than a customer's.
    Also, I'd rather know where the tallest part of the wheel and the shortest part of the tire is since I don't like egg shaped rotation.