69 R code project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Dyno, Jun 20, 2017.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Okay, been a few decades since I touched an FE, but 1) is the screen bolted to the pump body, and 2) was the mount surface on the pump checked for flatness?

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Andy - it's an FE Ford - of course it's bolted to the pump. And if the pump mounting surface was out of square, it would result in a loss of pressure (AFTER the pump) - this is an aeration issue, NOT a pressure issue.

3. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Good thought may try that way. Thanks.
    Using the Milodon pickup with the deep pan everything looked nice. Can't say I inspected enough to rule out a pinhole in a weld.
    Seeing it hits over 70 PSI with the drill running it I'm kind of expecting the pump has an issue. Get my hands in there Sunday when I am at the shop. Diagnosis day .
    So now it's just wait for Sunday , Sunday, Sunday ! LOL

pmrphil likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ugh. You'd think I'd realize that, on the pump-to-block mounting. But, sump-to-pump? That would be under suction, not pressure.

5. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Well today started out wrong and didn't improve.
    Got on road and found the traffic Jam maybe 40 minutes into my drive , lost at least a half hour if not more. 3 lanes of traffic shut down to one by emergency vehicle for a suv on it's roof in the woods well off the road, right side. Understand safe but really shutting that many lanes for a flipped vehicle in the woods off the road ?
    So got going again and made it to the shop late. We dropped pan and prepped the other pump. Checked the HV pump with pan out of way and a modified pickup in tub of oil, Froth coming out at input drive to pump and oil pressure pushing 80 PSI being driven by drill. Checked gasket at pickup when changing them and the gasket showed a nice imprint saying sealed.
    Here's a pic of oil froth in pan.
    The pump we were putting on was a stock aluminum pump. Told Joe ah less drag and lighter too be able to run faster, drop that ET. Unfortunately it refused to cooperate as a ear had a hairline crack and finally broke off. Bolt felt like it tightened but wasn't a great feel. Fell apart when we took it apart.
    So a pump is ordered and a new gasket as the silicone held better than expected and the gasket tore.
    Joe was wanting to know how much I wanted to be involved and I told him get it together for testing don't wait !
    Life in the fast lane !

Attached Files:

6. pmrphil

Does anybody else but Melling make a pump? I've never looked for one.
    Do I read that right - the froth is also coming up the pump gear input?

That Kaase pump for the BBF is a work of art - I won't build one without it. Hmm. I wonder ---

7. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Sealed power makes a pump.
    Here's a link to a place that does mods to oil pumps ( melling) and other pieces for Ford Fe's and others. Has a good following in the Fe pages. 4.375" stroke Fe crank Hmmmm

https://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/

Yep you read that right !!! It was interesting to say least.

Just got a text from Joe he pulled aluminum pump apart and tig'd the ear back on ! Let a man have a welder and see what happens. Says he realized he will never just use one out of box anyway.

8. pmrphil

I had that same thought about the aluminum pump, wondered why he didn't. Now we know he did ;). I'd like to see the internal difference between the two - there's got to be some visual/measurable things in there that may show just why the new pump does what it does. Depth of the relief cut, stacked tolerances, diameter of the shaft hole/shaft?? Was it just a normal 1/4" drive HV pump? And I am curious as to whether Sealed Power actually casts it's own pumps, or just reboxes Mellings.

9. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Normal HV 1/4" drive pump.
    Don't know the answers to the questions pump is 2 hours south of me. Sealed power rebox? Dunno.
    Not trying to put a bunch of time into the pump, lost enough time on it already. Time is $$$.
    Replace test bolt pan up and let's get this thing done it's dragged out to long.
    If I was closer might put some time into figuring out.

10. pmrphil

Yup, I get that, all too clear. It gets old after a while, kinda pulls you down.

11. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Yep. Should have been tested, had figures and be all smiles by now.
    Will persevere and win after all it's a mechanical thing and I refuse to get beat by a mechanical thing.
    Tomorrows fun is meeting with a prospective buyer for the business. Owners are in Fla and I left them know I would do it as they have been good to me. No reason to fly back.
    If it works maybe I can end up out of work and get some stuff done. Can always hope. LOL

pmrphil likes this.
  12. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Phil, I would say you called it on the sealed power pump being reboxed melling, has M57 cast on side of pump.

13. pmrphil

Damn, I was hoping they still had their own stuff. Well, at least you still have the OEM aluminum casting. Maybe fresh gears and pressure relief spring, if needed, could be used from the new pump?

14. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Here's a couple pics of oil one has froth and the other is now clean also pressure dropped from up to 82 Psi and is now 50-52 psi all on drill.
    Old aluminum pump is in with no other changes. Stock volume not HV.
    So now noise time can happen !!!

Attached Files:

pmrphil and beerbelly like this.
  15. pmrphil

Wow, that's a whole lot better. It made 82 on the drill before? Can't wait until you dissect that HV pump.

16. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Yep a whole lot better ! Yes Phil that was psi on the drill.
    Got a text earlier today that she was up and running sounding good. Supposed to send me a video but I haven't got anything yet. Also not meeting this weekend so now I just wait.

pmrphil likes this.
  17. pmrphil

Hey Don - any updates? Engine/business/hunting?

18. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Phil, Well the update last week got the call that still had a issue narrowed it down to water in oil. Yuck !!!! So last weekend went down and Joe had her tore down intake off as he located a weep at the intake gasket front right corner. So I spent the day cleaning everything up and flushing out the gunk with gas then priming, re-cleaning flushing and priming , and repeating. Then headed back to going together and decided we need to cut the intake for a better seal and distributor fitment. Yippee !! Oh and a couple intake bolts decided to strip the threads out of the head , my bad I knew I should have Helicoiled them before when I did the stands. Also changed out the steel gear on distributor for a MSD steel gear as the pin wanted to walk out of other one it was drilled the whole way thru and the other side was oblong. So at least I got that fixed and it's closer to going back together. Easier working while on the Dyno. He just looked at me and said this is what we do an issue arises and we fix it.

The black "snot" had never set up under gasket so didn't have to scrape that off like crazy almost wiped it off. As for the rest of the stuff it's over in Joe's hands for the week and probably head back down this weekend if timing works.

While I was there we were going over some of the stuff for a Pro Stock when they called wanting him up for Dyno time and testing on that piece. So his time is at a premium right now.

19. pmrphil

Crooked intakes seem almost common these days - used to be extremely unusual. Sucks. And stripped threads in aluminum heads? Nope, never seen one :D.
    Distributor gears on Fords I normally drill out to 3/16 - it takes care of pin breakage with HV pumps, and also takes care of the oblong holes (never seen one of those, either :D)
    Was the silicone fresh? I have had some "new" silicone sealant that must have been on the shelf for a while, it did the same thing. Pisses ya right off :mad:.
    Joe needs to quit working for a living and just screw off fixing his friends' engines instead :p.

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  20. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Well the heads and intake are Chineseium. Basically it was a price and availability thing. So just get caught by some of the gotcha's.
    It was the 3m adhesive choice Yellow or black "snot" used to glue the gasket to head that never set up. Though the first tube of silicone I rejected as it just ran out the end, next tube was all good. Yes they were both new.
    Joe doesn't slow down he just keeps digging into more stuff. He says he doesn't vacation well. Has his ignition system that he is trying to get going in a couple different ways. Then he is working on cars and engines for customers. Then late last year was getting calls from the Pro Stock guys, offered him a ride and he didn't jump on that which surprised me.
    So now I have a lot more insight into those engines, some warp's the mind. Lift numbers and spring pressures are CRAZY. Sorry can't tell anyone what they actually are, think BIG and add a lot more.
    Have a 2nd showing for the business I manage on March 5th same party from first showing.

handy_andy_cv64 and pmrphil like this.