New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! A lot of useful information is available from some real experts - all you have to do is ask. And these cars are about a easy as any to work on, you'll enjoy learning about your ride almost (note I wrote "almost") as much as you enjoy driving it!

2. Hawghead

Hawghead In Second Gear

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Scott Dean and I'm a new Ranchero owner. About a year ago I decided that I'd like to get back to building a fun street car. Recently I sold my Chevy Colorado and started looking for something that would put a little fun back in my commute. As I still wanted to be able to haul the occasional table and chairs or bag of fertilizer an El Camino or Ranchero was the obvious answer.

Well the other day this followed me home. It's a 1965 with factory 289 and four speed. Somewhere along the way it acquired a 9" rear end and the P/O installed a 3.21 posi pumpkin in it. The factory original shifter is pretty shot and paint is really rough but the body seems pretty solid. The guy I bought it from even threw in a couple of really straight and clean front fenders and another set of correct taillight lenses. I even found the original owners manual in the glove box.

Thanks for listening,
    Scott "Hawghead" Dean

Attached Files:

3. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a nice starter in your ranchero.

4. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to all the new members! Glad to see we are getting rancheros from all years!!

5. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

welcome,, nice ride, just take your time an youll have one as nice as parts for me...:D

6. OahuEli

OahuEli In First Gear

Gotta do a first post and say Aloha from a Hawaii motorhead. I've been into cars since I was a kid in the '60s, worked on and owned plenty since then. I've had a couple of muscle cars, a few "converts" i.e. '70 429 & C6 into a '72 Mustang coupe, '56 Ford F100 with a 429 and 4 speed toploader to mention a couple more, and enough other things guaranteed to put you to sleep. I found this website a few years ago when I thought I had a deal on a '57 Ranchero, and when it fell through I didn't come back. I've returned again with my sights on a '69 Ranchero GT with an S code 390 and C6. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this car yet, but if anyone has parts sources please gimme a holler.
    Aloha, Eli
    Edit: Geez I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm also on the HAMB and they generally call in air strikes on people who post incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  7. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome, very few air strikes on this site, has only been on people lying about what they own.:eek:
    I have been to other sites but this is the one with "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".:D
    And you posted in the right section. Sometimes if not one of the moderators move it for us.:)

8. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

I inherited my uncle's 65 last year. He bought it new
    and I recall riding around in it as a young boy.
    Is a factory 289 High performance with a 4-speed (now with a 302)
    Shifter is pretty loose in this car as well---but still a blast to drive.
    The Torque Thrusts that Jim bought the same week he bought the car are still on it.
    Also found the original bill of sale in the glove box.

Fun little car that can be parked anywhere-----and it also compliments
    the pair of old Elkys I have.

9. rancherosquire

rancherosquire In First Gear

rancherosquire

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question right off. My 72 ranchero is kind of hard to start, but when it is started it won't idle without playing with the gas peddle. It uses a ton of gas and a lot of black smoke comes out of the exhaust. I can't put it in drive without dying out. I've replaced the points and condensor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor. It has a 351 cleveland V-8 with a 2 bbl carb.
    HELP!!!!!!

Thanks,

Eric

10. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

Eric,
    It sounds like your choke is sticking closed which will cause it to use a lot of gas and make the black smoke from the exhaust. It also makes it hard to idle as the fuel mixture is way too rich. Try some carb cleaner first in and on the carb and then you may have to adjust the choke butterfly with the black wheel (which holds the spring that opens your choke as the car warms up). Also it is possible that spring is broken too and/or the tube from the exhaust to that part on the carb is broken or completely corroded.

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ ranchosquire ... take off the top of the air cleaner; when the motor is warm the choke plate should be fully open. If it isn't fully open then see if you can open it manually, might be stuck somehow. In total your symptoms sound like it needs carb repair.

You could put a post in one of the tech sections -- would get more notice there.

12. Ranchero71Owner

Ranchero71Owner In First Gear

How's it going? I'm Jacob and 17 years old, completely new to owning a car. My step-dad is a mechanic, so I have some skill. I have a 1971 Ranchero as my first car, current colors are Cobra Yellow & Black. The engine is a refab 302 with a 2 barrel carb. It runs beautifully and I love it, but is underpowered. My VIN looks like I had a 429 in it, and there is about 6 inches of space on all sides of my engine. Had a few troubles with the gas tank rusting away on the front, but that's now fixed. I live in Angel Fire, NM. And my Ranchero definitely tells me when it is cold, but she handles well in the snow. I have a bit of slop in my suspension, any ideas with that?

13. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the site. I am 19 years old with my 78 ranchero, and it was my first car as well. You are gonna learn to love that ride man. As for the suspension that is probably just with age. Drop some new shocks in her and that might do the trick. If its underpowered throw a 4bbl on it with a hydraulic roller cam.

Don't forget to post up some pics of your ride in the pics section!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  14. pronkie1

pronkie1 In Third Gear

Just picked up a 71 Ranchero with a 429 with auto...Been lowered and B and M shifter installed on the floor....Race seats were installed....The power steering was pulled.....Needs lots of work....It's missing the front grille and hood latch.....How can I identify the engine? Doesn't look original to this car......Here a picture of it....

Attached Files:

15. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the Ranchero Club, Lots of good People here with excellent tips and Help.

16. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Welcome to our happy, crazy home!
    You will learn to love us all, maybe not like us, but you will love Ranhero.us ...

17. BillyC

BillyC In Fourth Gear

Welcome and nice looking Chero. Like 71 better than any other riding and driving.

18. Stallion-spirit

Stallion-spirit In First Gear

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  19. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the board, Stallion-spirit. There at least a couple others with '57s who post here.

20. 84specialed

84specialed In First Gear

new member in tennessee

Hey everybody! A member reccomended this site on a mustang forum that im a member of. I just got my first ranchero, its a 68 gt, gold with white interior, 302 4 speed. My gradfather finally gave it to me after years of trying to buy it off him. Its been sitting in a barn since the mid 90's, so its gonna take some work to get it up and running again, but im up for the challenge. Its in pretty darn good shape, just needs a good cleaning and the white interior is a little mildewey. So anyways happy to be here and i'm sure I'll have some questions for you guys here soon. I'm picking it up saturday.