72-79 QUARTER PANELS

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by JOE, Jun 2, 2005.

1. JOE

JOE In Second Gear

I SAW J.C.WHITNEY HAS NEW QUARTER PANELS FOR A 72-79 TORINO S.W. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THESE. IF THEY ARE ANY GOOD OR NOT.
    THANKS

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Leavit to J.C. RIPMEOFF...... 72/6 same 77/9 same but wagons are different than cheros but could possably use as patch panels

3. JOE

JOE In Second Gear

I checked with them again. Time on line, an they list 1973-1978 ranchero quarter panels for 106.95 or 64.95. I don't know the difference but i will try to find out.

4. 5.0 Chero

I would be very leary of them they dont even know what year they will fit!

5. JOE

JOE In Second Gear

Yea I know. But maybe they're good enough to cut up and use as patch panels. Basically what it comes down to, is it worth the chance to throw that kind of money away.

6. 5.0 Chero

I guess thats up to you and what you need to repair.

7. AlbertaBoy

AlbertaBoy In First Gear

I ordered a set for my 72, they seem to be a close fit, but will take some work. (cut out at all for gas, markers, that kind of stuff)I see you live in the US, which is good.....I could fill a page talking about the trouble I had bringing them accross the 49th parallel! They were also damaged. I have heard that JC is pretty fexible for returns though. Long story short, I didn't pay for the unit, but I have some dent repair to do. If you want, I can e-mail you the pictures I took of the panels in the shape I received them.

8. JOE

JOE In Second Gear

The pictures would be helpful. Bssically i have to repair the lower section of the quarters and around the wheel opening. The good thing is that I have a squire, and the rust is just below the wood moulding. So I can cut right at the moulding line and weld and if there is any inperefections, i would be hidden.

9. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

I ordered thos ealso about 5 years ago from Whitney. They arrived via truck freight, and were dented a bit too. I called Whitney and wanted to return them, they credited my account and told me to dispose of the panels myself since they didn't want to pay for the shipping back. All I needed was what it seems that you need, around the wheels and the lower section. The new panels were dented above those sections, so I just cut out what I needed and welded them on. They came out really nice for free patch panels!!! Just a warning if you get them, they are very thin. Like heating duct thin. I reinforced them pretty good on the inside with the old ones and they came out very sturdy. I would almost consider them to be more like skins than new quarters.

Dave

10. JOE

JOE In Second Gear

When you say you reinforced them on the inside.How did you do it, cut the old metal from the car and weld whatever was good to the inside of the new stuff? Then weld it on the the car.

11. TomFord

TomFord In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Hi Joe, the panels you're talking about are made by Tabco, according to the JC Whitney website. Pretty good quality. Not as good as OEM, but good for the price. The difference in price is that the cheap one is for a 4 door car, the more expensive one for a 2 door(larger, longer panel). Go to www.tabcobodyparts.com and look around. Click on Installation for a nice pictorial on how the're installed. Have Fun Tom