A 1970 Squire wandering around in the UK

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Dave Enty, Jul 18, 2023.

1. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

dave
    i have a paint on bedliner in mine, its a bit finer textured than Raptor. can buy it to self apply brush,roller of spray, can't rember brand at this moment [ i will try and find the tin when i get home in a couple of days ] it available in many colors.

2. Dave Enty

Dave Enty In Second Gear

Just a quick update and to confirm I'm still doing bits to this truck, there's not a lot been happening though as it's been too cold and wet for me to be messing outside.

I've sorted out the pickup bed as threatened in my previous post. The first job was the "smugglers box". I'd already had a quick look at this area when I first acquired the truck, so knew that it wasn't rotten, it just needed a bit of tidying up. All the drain holes were clear so it was just a case of clearing out a load of dirt and rubbish which has accumulated over the years. Once this was done, a quick rub down and a thick coat of black enamel brushed on to protect it for another few years. I didn't seal the cover when I put it back on, the previous time I used a non-setting mastic though this didn't really work and has been a nightmare to clean off.

I've painted nearly all the bed in matt (flat) black, mainly because I ordered it in error instead of the satin black I meant to get. Sorry @uk ranchero , it seemed easier at the time. :) I'll probably just blend the sides and the inner tailgate panel in as they're not too bad. Mostly it's been a quick rub down to remove the surface rust and flaking paint as I'm not going for a show finish. The truck has lived a life and I'm happy for it to show a bit of wear and tear, the main reason for the refresh is just preventative maintenance to try to keep the rust at bay.

I've also treated it to a pair of new front shock absorbers, nothing special, just economy things from Rock Auto but the difference in handling is already night and day. Probably because the ones they replaced were weeping oil out and all the rubbers were perished. I still need to sort the springs out on the front as it's riding way too high but at least it's no longer banging around.
    Incidentally, I can't fault Rock Auto on their service. Ordered on Wednesday PM, received here in the UK the following Monday around midday. OK, the shipping costs hurt a bit but for service like that I can accept it.

I've now put the Ranchero to one side to get my other car cleaned up for the first meet of the year, which is happening in under three weeks. It's been neglected for a few months so it's now getting a bit of long overdue attention.