old thread about leaky windshield?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by david72gt, Oct 22, 2008.

1. david72gt

david72gt In Second Gear

Hi,
    does anyone remember a question some time ago about
    water leaking into the driver side floorboard from the windshield
    drain system.....
    or.....anyone know how to fix such a problem?
    Winter is coming.......

when I wash my 72 Ranchero, water runs in pretty fast from the
    dash area by the pedals
    thanks in advance for any help, David

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

In my case power spraying out the drain ducts helped.Pine needles and other junk can clog them. A lot of mud and other etc came out when I did mine. They're along the front by the wiper arms, three I think. One in the middle and one on each side (is that right everyone?), under the black 'netting' stuff, can't miss them.

3. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Well I will chime in about what I know, but the first thing that could be causing it is the inside of the cowl under the windshield, there is this round wall type thing around the cowl vents. What happens over time from leafs, dirt, and what not, it rusts out, allowing water to flow right into your interior. What you could do to check and see if this happened is take off the cowl vent cover under the windshield, and stick you hand down there and see if the metal wall is rusted out. If it is in fact rusted out, it is a very costy and time consuming process if done by a body shop. I have also heard of people fixing it with fiberglass. I hope all I said made sense to you. It could also be as simple as one of the drains plugged up with dirt, mine was plugged up one time, and this would happen.
    Dave

4. david72gt

david72gt In Second Gear

Rust ???

I'll dig in there and see for sure, I hope it's not the dreaded RUST......
    that stuff never sleeps you know.........