Trouble getting to the site?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by burninbush, May 12, 2010.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Nope sorry its Billy that matters If he leaves so dose the site "Y'ALL REMEMBER THAT"

Sean is as insignificant as any other person on the site.

2. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

What are you trying to do, make his ego even bigger? I would have said that he was at least as insignificant as any other person on the site.:p

3. 5.0 Chero

You have heard the saying nothing is impossible? Well to make his ego any bigger it would be impossible

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You'd think that, but with all the praise and accolades I get in life, and adding to the fact I am super freakin awesome, I find my ego just keeps getting larger and larger. Hey, it's not like it's my fault.

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Site was unavailable for much of the morning today, here --

6. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Just read this, thanks for the mention there FF but WTF?
    Thank You BB...back on track, yes it is intermittent...

7. 5.0 Chero

Damn 100 miles south and I had no problems...:confused: was on and off most of the day.

8. TestDummy

7 out of 10 times I've tried getting on today have resulted in 'Can't find that website' messages. Anyone else have any trouble?

9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Not I. Everytime I clicky I get inny.

10. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, Sean you are correct, same here, Conspiracy? Select few? I have to laugh...:D

11. TestDummy

Agreed. I suspect it has everything to do with moderators posting on locked threads, repeatedly. The system just can't take it.

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Happens all the time. When the DNS makes a call to the IP address the host server fails to respond and the call times out. Either the host server is bumping against its bandwidth limitations or the ISP is on the pipe feeding the server. I have found that putting the site in my host file, thus bypassing the DNS reduces the problem. This is because the DNS servers will remember the time out and replicate that response for a short time.
    Also, your computer is set to do the same by default, so repeated calls to the site after the failed lookup can return a DNS error even after the problem is resolved if you don't wait a few minutes or change the setting.

13. 5.0 Chero

No Sean with our "secret decoder rings and shtuff" we can send you that message at will!

14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You're right that classic XP behavior is to cache DNS information and not make new calls until it hits the expiry. But BB's computer is not a Windows machine, he's a Linux rebel. And as for the DNS server making a call to the IP address, that isn't a cached client issue either, because when I have these resolution errors, multiple clients querying multiple name servers all fail to generate a response (try specifying different name servers next time, see what you get). I suspect the site's hosting provider is using DDNS and it isn't working properly, maybe transitioning between hosting locations and not updating the tables quickly enough. I also suspect that the hosting provider is receiving complaints from forum admins of other sites they host as well because unless Billy is hosting this in his own basement, there are others that are suffereing the intermittent connectivity issues too. And I don't mean Vbulletin either, since that's just forum software. I'm talking about the hosting provider. So this isn't a "site" issue, it's a server/network issue that Dan shoud be howling at the providers about. If he cares to appease the whiney few, which he may not. Although he usually does.

15. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Vista and 7 have a DNS resolver cache, and so does linux. You can flush the cache manually, or in Windows make a registry change to remove it. If you have dial-up, you do not want to do that though.
    Unless the large DNS servers have changed behavior in recent times, they hold a DNS lookup failure for a short period of time to blunt DOS attacks.
    I too have noticed that this is not the fault of the DNS as it happens when I use my in house DNS and when using my usual method of completely bypassing DNS using the host file.

16. TestDummy

Of the last 4 posts, I have to say Carl's makes the most sense. Buncha Tech Nerds!

17. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Well, that's usually the case. If a problem can be fixed with a welder or by whacking it with a big hammer, Carl is THE MAN!

18. 72GTVA

I will deal with it when the "right" whiney few chime in.

19. TestDummy

I thought they all quit? Well, most of them anyway.

20. 72GTVA

You impeached your own point. Now what? "They" are "wishin' and hopin" and prayin" that eventually a select "ya'll" will get tired of the site and quit showing up or posting here.

In all seriousness, Bill has talked to the host provider and they are aware of the problem and are working on it. It isn't Bill's fault nor is it this site's software. Some of the issue can be attributed to overall 'net loading which is unavoidable (unless you can cut down on the number of unemployed democrats twitting, surfing, facebooking, protesting, IM, SMS, MMS, or otherwise wasting bandwidth). Some of it is in your computer's software suite, and some of it is the host provider's issue.