C6 woes

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Torkair, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

Before I went about getting the C6 I have into the car I decided to check the fluid and it turns out that the old fluid in it is brown like maple syrup. On the bright side I do have a big bell FMX to throw in behind the 400, I just have to change the output yolk on the C4 drive shaft that I have. So the question that I have is should I rebuild the C6, or should I put the FMX in the car and save the C6 for something else, or just run the FMX?

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Time fer an AOD.....

3. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Do ya'll really like the AOD. I had an 86 F150 with OD and hated it. Maybe it's personal preference.

4. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Install the FMX. Fix the C6 ,then change em out

5. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, never liked a FMX or a AOD, but depends on your application. A C6 will handle anything you throw at it and a cost of 40-50hp, but???

6. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Why did you hate it, I have a 98 powerstroke E350 AOD and I like it, and maybe I will have one for my stroker prosject in my Chero, Just wondering so I can consider + and - before doing anything :confused:

7. GTODave

GTODave In Third Gear

AOD....too much HP lost with a clevo and a C6....listen to 5.0.....best of both worlds with OD....good off the line and good on the highway....

Dave

8. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Giska,it may be just the 86 year. Mine was constantly shifting up and down whether it needed to or not. I remember working with a guy who had an 86 T-bird and he complained about his constantly. My brothers 92 F150 seems to do it right.

9. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I dont know what the problem with the FMX is Mine has never been out and only serviced once since new and I use mine for hauling anything that will fit in the bed. AOD would seem to me to be less reliable with smaller gears, bearings, clutches etc.

10. Mooretorinos

Mooretorinos In Third Gear

I'm happy with the AOD so far ( could use a higher stall ) With a transgo shiftkit. It holds the gears longer and does not lingerer in between gears. Three speed in town and overdrive when you need it. It's hard on the motor revving 3500+ on the FWY for miles and miles. Thats why I wanted the AOD but mines a daily driver