1973 ranchero headlight missing link

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Davidpower, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Davidpower

Davidpower In Second Gear

Hi you all!
    got a small problem: my headlights are fixed at three points each: two bolts for adjustment and one ??????? its been too long since i put it apart and theres this bump in the metal holter for each lamp quite rectangular that tells me something has to be fittet into this bump. My handbook shows me nothing about this. Could anyone show me a photo of a headlight fixing gadget so i know what to look for?

Thanks in advance. Thats the real thing here:
    you REALLY get help !

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

it should be a spring.

3. ncranchero

ncranchero In Fourth Gear

Right, there should be a spring but I think there's also a flat plastic piece for the bucket to sit on isn't there?

4. Davidpower

Thought about that but how does it look like? and this plastic thing?

5. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

David I think this is what your talking about, It is called a Headlamp adjusting Ring Bearing. This one is for a 78 with square lights but many of the rounfdtype used it too. there may be 1 or 3 depending on the model and year, your 73 may take a different one but this should give you an idea of what your looking for, I hope this helps you out. [​IMG]

6. ncranchero

ncranchero In Fourth Gear

That's the piece..........

7. Davidpower

thanks for thr picture.....but ahem...I´ve never seen this before. How does it hold to the lamp-ring? the ring has a small hole in there....

8. Fomoco8

It doesn't mount to the ring, it goes to the header , the tabbed end goes in and angles into the rounded portion of the opening giving the ring a bearing surface to rotate on ,if you want to just hold the ring , the springs do that along with the adjustment screws,

9. Davidpower

Thanks, slowly forms a picture in my mind how this could work.....and for shure I don´t have those plstic clips..will fabricate them myself

10. Fomoco8

OK Dave, I think this one will give you a better idea of the layout if you haven't got it already [​IMG] , Adjusters at 12 and 3 o clock positions, spring in small notch, On the plastic pieces , it's possible your 73 didn't use them,My parts book starts them at 74 but it could be incorrect in typical factory style.

11. Davidpower

Hey Fomoco! Thats real help and now i understand: its the combination of plastic thingy + spring that hold the lamp in place . yeah man, real help is this!!!
    Thanks a bundle !

12. Davidpower

Hey I like to thank you? Do you drink beer or like something small from Germany i could pack in a box ( a Mercedes is quite too big!) ? Give me your adress and you´ll get it. No kidding.
    Miguel David

13. Fomoco8

Glad I could help you out , It,s thanks enough to see you keeping that Ranchero alive and on the street where it belongs, Any time I can help out another car guy with a problem I will. Especially a Ranchero owner, We gotta stick together,