New 61 Ranchero Owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by gaddman, Jul 17, 2015.

1. gaddman

gaddman In First Gear

Hey guys and gals! I recently inherited a 1961 Ranchero. Unfortunately, I think it's too far gone rust-wise to be salvaged...at least with my ability. My uncle bought it in 1980. He always though it was an original Sprint. I've ran the vin through several decoders and it appears to have came out with a 6 cyl.

Anyway...here's what it has...a 289 v-8 4bbl (I ran the intake number and I think its a 65ish), 4 spd trans, a 9" (I think) posi rear-end, bucket seats, a tach on the dash (looks aftermarket...doesn't say ford or sprint), the steering wheel ring says "Falcon Sprint", and it has 5 lug wheels. The emblems on the outside are "Ranchero" behind the front wheel wells, and "V-8" wings in front of the front wheel wells. My first quest is to find out if there was a such thing as a Falcon Ranchero Sprint in 1961. My research tells me that the only v-8 in 61 was a 260. And I can't find any reference to Sprints in that year. I think it was converted to v-8 early in it's life and the Sprint stuff was added then too...that a Chero such as mine never existed.

I remember as a teenager he rebuilt the motor and let me help and learn. It had some patch work and bondo in it back then. But he never put it on the road. It has sat outside in central KY ever since. It basically sits on the rear axle because the bed and frame rails are gone. Leaf springs sticking up where there should be a bed floor. The rest of the car is mostly just as bad.

Sorry for the long introductory post! I appreciate any feedback.
    - Gaddman

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

well my feedback would be a great donor car for a good non running round body you should be able to pick up decent body for under $2000 what is your location ad welcome to the site

3. gaddman

gaddman In First Gear

These are the only pics I have on this PC for now...I think you can click on them to enlarge...
    Ranchero_DriversSide.jpg Ranchero_PassengerSide.jpg

4. gaddman

gaddman In First Gear

I'm in Southern Indiana, near Louisville KY. I'm actually working a deal right now on a really decent 62. It's a 6cyl 3 sp. I think it would be a great donor to move my drive train and spindles to. I think mine is scrap unless there's something special about the Sprint part that would make it worth keeping to someone.

5. 5.0 Chero

6. 5.0 Chero

cool that would be your best bet even it it was a Sprint it would not be worth the work

7. BillyC

BillyC In Fourth Gear

Welcome aboard. Much quicker and easier to get good body to build. Lot in this area.

8. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Be careful but, a good 6 cyl western car should be easy to find as a base for your donor. Make sure they send you lots of pics especially of bed drain area, frame rails, rockers. What some people say as "rust free" certainly isn't unfortunately.

9. gaddman

gaddman In First Gear

Will do. The one Im looking at is in southern ga...but I am asking for some pics of those areas. Thanks!