Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PonyExpressRider, Oct 7, 2021.

1. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Per Dyno's request! LOL

My Western Oregon Blacktail tag opened Oct 2, and ends Nov 5. Supposed to get a weather change this weekend. Should be good for getting them Ghosts moving.

As Is '66, Basstrix and RancheroRandy like this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Good Luck !

As Is '66 likes this.
  3. PonyExpressRider

I knew the weather would do the trick...

Was hunting a new area a friend had told me about... First thing in the morning in a clear cut unit, saw 5 deer and pretty sure one was a big buck in the floating clouds. I zigged to get a better look, and shot... they zagged on out the bottom never to be seen again. UUHHGG!!

Later, going to investigate another unit, stumbled across a couple of deer near the road. I jumped out, saw a deer. Saw horns, took enough time to think it was a forked horn... UHG!!! It was a spike. Still legal, but I am done. If there is any consolation, it was a neck shot, so no waste of some good meat, should be some good eats. Would have been much happier with the big one. But it is what it is.

Looking forward to going to Eastern Oregon next year... A friend was hunting the same unit I was supposed to hunt this year and took this Buck! (first pic)

Another friend was hunting the Ochoco unit, and got what we are calling the Knife and Fork Buck. (second and third pic's). Although looks more like a dagger!

Attached Files:

As Is '66 and Basstrix like this.
  4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Had a 22' toyhauler, but sold it to buy 20' cargo trailer to make the move to Nevada.I drag it deep into Forest without stressing on scratching paint or ripping
    off plumbing.Pretty comfortable for two,portable generator,microwave,propane heat and camp stove.All loaded up,heading out Tuesday.Will report on return.
    My opening morning mantra.."6 POINT..8 POINT..10POINT BUCK!..DAYLIGHT COME AND I WANT TO SEE BONE! (Repeat as often as needed.)
    SAM_4629.JPG SAM_4284.JPG

5. PonyExpressRider

two nice 4X4's... and an Elk for a nice exclamation point.

6. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Man you guys are getting the trigger finger itchy !!!
    Nice animals for a successful hunt.
    Was at cabin this weekend for Dad's Senior deer hunt. Saturday he saw nothing so I went up over hill for squirrels and or what else I could find. About 15 min I see 2 small bucks then I catch a glimpse of another deer, stayed put for a few minutes. Headed back up the trail and kicked out a decent 8 point that had bedded down while I smoked a cigarette on the trail. Didn't get anything due to winds picking up but got Dad pissed that I was seeing deer. He's still hunting this week while I go back to work.

As Is '66 likes this.
  7. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Got my deer stand ready :) Deer Stand2.jpg

As Is '66 likes this.
  8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Was a successful trip except for extreme weather conditions.Tagged a fat 3x2 opening morning.Hit a blizzard going up the mountain(9100 ft),spent the night in truck,chained up next morning and barely made it to camp.Buddy came up 2 days later,and nearly crashed his truck/trailer coming up the mountain.Only hunted 3 days because another storm was coming in.Just made it off mountain,but had white out conditions all the way to Cedar City on the way home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  9. PonyExpressRider

Have to love it when a hunting trip turns into an adventure!

NICE BUCK!

As Is '66 likes this.
  10. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Nice score, make some good eating !
    Was on vacation last week for Turkey season with dad. Scored on a couple. Saw first snow fall for the year ! Dad says 2 seasons in upstate Pa, winter and July/August.
    Closed the week with being 1 of 6 .
    Still a good hunt.
    Waiting for thanksgiving and then Deer season. Have DMAP tags and regular.
    1 buck and 3 doe got me through the past year. Time to restock!

Attached Files:

As Is '66 and PonyExpressRider like this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Nice gobblers. How do you do yours up for Thanksgiving?

As Is '66 likes this.
  12. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

For T-day usually do domestic deep fried in Peanut oil.
    With the wild birds really only get breasts, thighs and legs. Breasts cut in strips breaded (light ) and deep fried then put in spaghetti sauce for a turkey breast parmigiana. Other times cube the breast and combine with Gator in a Jambalaya.
    Thighs and legs crock pot to to get meat off bone then go in a stew for deer camp. Legs are best this way as they have plenty of "splinters" in them, to many to eat around.
    Have also seasoned and cooked the thighs in oven.
    Now I'm hungry!

As Is '66 and plumcolr like this.
  13. PonyExpressRider

DAMN that sound s good! What times dinner? :rolleyes:

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  14. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Every night 6 ish.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

First week of rifle season done. Seeing few deer hearing that all over from others.
    Started out Thanksgiving morning flipped over the plow on my Dr mower ( foot pic below) didn't really get to hunt my way as a still hunter. Saturday morning we hit the woods couple hours after daylight while I was trying to slip thru woods found the 7 pointer in pick below. Shot straight on only problem he had other plans tracked him and all of a sudden saw him off through the woods then a bang, pushed him to one of the guys that hunts with club at least no wasted venison, his deer. Gimped back thru to another part of woods and spotted a deer shot it thru neck all I saw was hooves in scope, Button buck cost me 5 pound shrimp next year. Waited for a little bit and heard shooting up on hill( 8 point below) kids first deer. Suddenly there was a deer off to my left whacked him (6 point) 4 points one side busted stub other side. 2 deer about 25 minutes apart so then the fun began gutted them and hooked both on the drag and got them out of woods.
    Sunday after hunting my toes were blue so went to hospital and got treated , nothing broken just swelled and hurting. Med up.
    So far we got about 12 deer for 14 people in camp.
    Hunted all week saw 5 deer total not used to seeing that few. Back up for the last Saturday after work this week.

Attached Files:

As Is '66 likes this.
  16. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks like that smarted pretty good !

As Is '66 likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Tell us the truth...you were redneck drag racing when you dumped the plow....:D

As Is '66 likes this.
  18. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Yep hurt pretty good. Cancelled still hunting.
    Hit hard enough to look for my glasses only to realize they were still on my face. Doh !
    Redneck drag racing.... no chute needed just drop the plow...

As Is '66 likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

A faster stop (and more painful) than a carrier trap!

As Is '66 likes this.
  20. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Well went up to cabin for the last Saturday of hunting.
    Arrived Friday night and Dad had already whacked a nice buck 8 pt. He had arrived Thursday afternoon saw nothing and finally Friday this one showed up for him. So he spent 8 days in the woods and this was the only deer he saw, at least he made it count.
    Saturday bought rain and wind and no deer in the woods again. Seems that was the story for lots of people this year, no deer.

Attached Files:

LSChero and As Is '66 like this.