ouch

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by fomocomofo, Oct 14, 2008.

1. fomocomofo

fomocomofo In Fourth Gear

hey riders of the contraption, a good buddy of mine is in hospital at the moment and will be for some time after his latest effort to try kill himself , normally he is a swinger on a speedway sidecar team but this weekend just gone he was out on a group ride and had a nasty head on accident with a new nissan navara sport truck. well now his limited edition ducati tri colour is a disintegrated mess in the hands of the serious crash investigation unit and he has every bone in his body broken. im talking a 200 kph impact that seperated his body from his bones . the firemen at the scene did not give him any chance of survivng until the ambulance arrived but kept him still and awake until the medics got there. he has a broken neck, back , all his ribs and sternum both legs and arms in lots of places , compound fractures all over and he is now full of morphiene. his girl friend spoke to him tonight and he knows what has happened and he has full feeling in his legs and arms so we think he will bounce back over time. a new helmet is what the doctors are saying saved his life. be careful on those damn things lads and buy a new helmet.

2. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Prayer goes out

From our home in situations as these...
    A prayer fer speedy recovery has done been sent...

3. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You kiwis are nuts. Hope he's alright. How have you been mofo?

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I hope he recovers but I can't really feel sorry for him. All you motorcycle people are defying death every time you go out for a ride, and when you get hurt/killed I think it's really your fault. Even if it's not.

5. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, Sean let's not have any fun that are dangerous.
    Had my crashes to, they said I was dead for some minutes but a freshly educated doctor saved me, as almost 70% of all accidents on a bike its a car drivers wrongdoing in traffic who is to blame.:mad:But that does'nt help us much.:eek:
    But I still ride and have for 35 years.:cool:

And I do hope he will recover after this. All my best to him. :(

6. TopNotch

TopNotch In Second Gear

Wow Sean??

Man dude I realize people are entitled to their opinions but come on man, not to feel the least bit sorry and always blame it on the Biker. That is just down right cold hearted.:mad:

How would you like it if you were out in your car with your family and got taken out by an eighteenweeler and someone posted a reply like you have.

I do not want to start a verbal war here but just ask that you would have some compassion on people who are suffering.:)

7. TestDummy

Sorry but I'm not buying! If you look closely, you'll see I wrote I hope he recovers. I did not blame the biker for the accident either. But, when you are dead, does it matter who's fault it was? I look at riding a motorcycle in about the same way I look at bungee jumping, parasailing, sky diving, etc. It's dangerous as hell, and if you do it, you accept the risk of dying. Especially if you don't wear a helmet. There are way too many morons on the road for them to be safe. But hey, if that's your thing, you go boy.

8. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

girley man...I guess this applies to me since I mountain bike, and race sometimes too. Just kidding sean. I hope your friend gets better soon, and if it was his fault which I bet it wasn't, maybe he will ride more carefully when he does get back on a bike.

9. TopNotch

TopNotch In Second Gear

Reread Your own post !

I never mentioned that you did not say "I hope he recovers". I mentioned that you do not feel sorry for anyone whether it is their fault or not, and that you always blame it on the biker.

10. fomocomofo

fomocomofo In Fourth Gear

thank you for the kind words folks and sean i see your point but unfortunatley this guy was at fault with a move that saw him cut the apex of a blind corner and hit a car that had pulled out of a concealed driveway. normally this corner is cut by everything from push chairs to trucks as it is a series of s bends and you can see if anyones approaching from a distance, but this driveway has only just been put in and not too many people know about it yet. he does.

FF im all good and looking forward to my first paycheck from my new job. im working for an engineering company converting late model pick ups to right hand drive. i got to strip down a brand new dodge ram this week and see how flimsy they really are. hey sean how well to dodge rams stack up in a test crash. we did some here not long ago but i wasnt in the loop for the results. apparently my new boss bought a bunch of flood damage trucks from new orleans and crashed em up out at the airport. now we have a few hemis lying around the shop and we use them as anvils and such. its funny smacking things around on them. we usually do it in front of the customers to get a reaction. i used one today as a painting bench .

so how are you lot . had any storms or twisters in your back yards lately.

any one here from los alamos new mexico. i just saw a doco on it and in the background i could see a pick up truck towing a trailer with what looked to be a 32 ford 3 window on it, parked up out side a pawn shop. if it was ill pay handsomly for it if anyone goes and scores it. darn hot rod.

my 71 is getting rust repairs done and it seems to be not too bad. although those 2 years it spent in colorado didnt do it any favours, hence the rust repairs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  11. TestDummy

:)
    And I see you really don't read others posts before you start ranting about them....:) I always blame the biker! Good one!

12. ForistellFord

Now, now, Sean. Before you go soiling yourself here, just sit down for a while. Mr. Notch does have a point. Just because riding a bike is considerably less safe than driving a car, it is also considerably more fun than driving a Festiva. (I would know that). Just because bikers should know the inherent risks (and surely they do) doesn't mean we should gloat when they are converted to hamburger on the street. I'm a heck of a lot less safe in my Festiva than I am in my Durango, but I still drive the Festiva. 50 MPG helps that decision along. Leave Notch alone and go make a poster, slacker. But you're still the coolest. :cool:

13. TestDummy

Shucks, you're right! Again! It's just that,.....I get so mad when someone tells me that I said something when I didn't.........especially when they are new to the forum and all...........sorry.
    Everything we do has a risk. The more risk a person takes, the less sympathy I have for them when they get creamed. Simple as that.

14. TopNotch

TopNotch In Second Gear

Read Your Own Words.

I did not misread anything or misquote anything the above were your exact words.

15. TestDummy

I suppose. My meaning is that if you play with fire, you're bound to get burned. And if you know that you will get burned eventually, and keep playing with fire, you can't complain when you do get burned. If you smoke two packs a day and then get lung cancer, will you ask for sympathy?
    I have the unique pleasure of viewing the grotesque results of car and motorcycle crashes as part of my job. And, knowing how dangerous riding a bike is, however enjoyable, I would rather have my daughters grow up with a Dad than without (of course my wife would probably remarry in about 2 weeks, so they would have a step-Dad).
    Call me an idiot or un-sympathetic all you want, you can’t change the data.

16. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Only from the jury - when I sue the tobacco company. It's the American way.;)

17. ForistellFord

Well, she told me all she was waiting for was you to make one more dumb move...

Anyway, I can see your point in this too. After all, I am well aware of the added danger of driving my Festiva to work when I have a Durango at home. So if I am involved in a fatal accident that would have surely been non-fatal to me if I was in the Durango, I can not expect sympathy since it was my choice to drive it. So from that point of thinking, sure it sucks to be squished on a bike but it could have been prevented. OK, I get it. So in that respect, assuming one's aware of and accepts the risk of riding a motorcycle on a public street, then I guess I can hope for them to remain safe but can't exactly avoid a good 'I told ya so' if something happens.

18. TestDummy

You are 100% correct, she is waiting for me to make one more dumb move. Actaully, she told me I should ride a Moped to work everyday.

19. ForistellFord

What she did say, besides "he spells actually wrong every time", was that she assumes you'll sit in for a crash test dummy on a test once, on a dare. That will be her 'out'.

20. TestDummy

Actuali, she may get her wish tomorrow. I've always wanted to ride in a Acura.