How to make this Chero somethin special?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by ridin_low07, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ridin_low07

ridin_low07 In First Gear

Ok so question, I am planning on doing a complete resto on this. Body off, painted frame and underbody etc. Now I am wondering where I can look at more pictures of custom interiors, bodies, and other little modifications. Any help? Being 19 and working in a shop I have alot of tools at my disposal so I can pull off almost anything. I have a little knowledge in alot of different areas so I am hoping this will turn out to be pretty simple.

2. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

3. ridin_low07

im not so much into the wood paneling. Just not really my style. I am thinking of shaving the trim holes since all the trim is gone. I just want to make it stand out from a crowd. I have power seats from an 01 Intrepid ready to be put in it so that way I can at least ride comfortably but I am just not sure on what else to do to it.

4. trikar

Look through the threads I posted above to get some ideas from what other people have done with their Rancheros.
    Some people have added hood scoops, stripes, custom grilles, tucking the bumpers, enlarging rear wheel well lips, swapping front clips with a '72 front clip.
    Interior you can install buckets and a center console, customizing the rear storage area. Off the top of my head HuevosRanchero, Lovinmy74, and Sarah all have some good shots of things they have done to their interiors which are the same model Ranchero as your Ranchero.

5. ridin_low07

I appreciate all the help you are givin me bubba.

6. DMB

DMB In Second Gear

Remove the fuel cap and put a door in place of it.

Attached Files:

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yes DMB How ford should have done fuel filler
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I suggest you scrap the body off resto idea as it's a waste of time and effort (especially if you plan to 'paint' on woodgrain or 'french' in the license plate). The only way a frame off resto is worth the effort is if you plan to make it concours perfect,....and if it is a Camaro, Cuda, Mustang, or other car that is worth some money. Trust me, it's not worth the time or effort.

9. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

I was gonna do a frame off... but I cant find the bolts :confused:
    I kinda like the painted on woodgrain, how easy was it?? one of these days .. Im gonna paint mine.

10. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

How can you say a frame off resto is a waste of time (I am doing my sencond and neither was done for concours type resto). I have done some mild mods and the sencond is going to get the Montego front end. The frame off gives you the chance to clean fix and make the car safe and like new while the finished product can be anything you want it to be. Just my opinon.

11. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Sean considers it a waste of time as his is still in pieces ... how many years now???? hmmmmmmm

As Kevin said there are alot of ideas on here... I say do it your way. As for the gas tank suggestion I would go to the inside of the bed like Paul aka Boss did on his 72. I've seen it up close and personal and I'm telling you that is the greatest design ever. :D

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Unless you really use it as a truck to haul stuff in the bed!

13. trikar

I found the process to be pretty easy. I had planed to replace the vinyl sheets but I thought I would go ahead and try the wood graining myself and if I did not like it I could always just sand it down and install the vinyl sheets. I like how it turned out and people are always asking me how I was able to that with real wood.

14. ridin_low07

how exactly did you do the fuel door and what is it off of? i personally agree that ford should have put a door on instead of just the cap. but then again i am speaking from my gas bein jacked a few too many times. I also like the frenched license plate. what bumper did you use to replace the stock one? we have plenty of junker cars at my job so i will prolly end up using lots of things off of different cars. i am putting an auto dimmer rearview mirror out of a caddy with map lights just for convenience, 60/40 split power bench seats out of an intrepid, and a third brake light out of a seville sts. i am still looking at more ideas for Bucket so anymore ideas are awesome. Pics with a small write up would be kooler than a polar bears toenails

15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

i am putting an auto dimmer rearview mirror out of a caddy with map lights just for convenience,

+++++++++++

I'm curious about that mirror ... I have had in recent times a couple '90s Chryslers that had rv mirrors that were self-dimming, kinda turned green when struck with a light. Very effective, and what I was wondering, do they work standalone? Just needing switched power, or ??? what else?

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, that's kind of what I am trying to tell him. It is a long, hard and expensive process to do a full 'body off' and he should really ask himself what he wants to do with the Ranchero when he's done. Mine got sidetracked by a new kid, then a new house, then 3 years of no wage increases, then a new job, in a new state and another new house. Someday, it'll all come together. Sometimes I wish I would have just undercoated the bottom,...thrown some bondo on the body,....tossed in an interior like we did in HS (cover the door panels in vinyl from JoAnn Fabrics, etc), given it a half-ass paint job and some cheap wheels and just drove the damn thing. Man, why must I need everything perfect? :D
    Not everybody puts stuff in the bed of their Ranchero. They cover it up and forget it like the trunck of a car...so sad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  17. ridin_low07

they tap into a 12v source like adding a stereo pretty much.

I aint sure if i wanna do the body off but the passenger floor pan is rusted out in some spots so i wanted to try and weld patch it from underneat and check out any frame rust as well. do they make replacement floor pans for these or will i have to make my own pan? Also how effective is a sand blaster? I was gonna sand blast the interior since there is surface rust everywhere but I have never used one. Its either sand blast or rust converter but I would rather make sure the rust is gone. I have alot of questions bout replacement parts for this as well but we will address this later on.

18. DMB

DMB In Second Gear

I would like to take credit for it but my grandpa did it back in the early 80s when he built it. He just cut the fuel door off a station waggon he saw in a junk yard.

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

My 98 Durango has that mirror, too. Changes to greenish when dark as you say and it does work great. It needs only power, has an override switch built in to it on the bottom. Doesn't have map lights.

20. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Here's a custom job for ya. Not mine, just found it on the net.

[​IMG]