'64/'65 OEM exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Dark Side Tom, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

OK, parts gurus!

My '64 Chero (and '65's) and '64/'65 Falcon V8's have an odd driver's side cast iron exhaust manifold that points DOWN rather than straight back like the passenger side.

So, might '65/'66 Mustang OEM fit on my ride? Or does it conflict with the clutch bell crank?

Anyone use later iron on theirs??

Dark Side Tom

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Interesting point, I have 2 289's one is the way you described with pass straight back and driver side straight down, the other one has both sides straight back, the latter is the one I picked up that was donated to a school from FOMOCO. To answer your question, I have no clue, sorry.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Tom, you have the same set as what came on mine:
    Single exhaust manifold set.jpg
    I believe this is the set that came with a factory V8 with a manual trans & Z-bar. This sends the driver's side exhaust under the oil pan to join up with the passenger side and then to the back, a single exhaust setup. That's why we don't have a crossmember under the oil pan like the auto trans cars do. I've done some searching, and some say that this '65 Galaxie manifold MAY work with the Z-bar, but I haven't tried it and can't confirm it.
    '65 Galaxie Manifold.JPG
    At any rate, I'm pretty sure the Mustang straight-back manifold won't work.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Both 65'S that I have came with auto trans and neither one has a cross member.

5. beerbelly

Correction: "like the auto trans cars could have"

6. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

With my truck group, we mostly had Ford FE engines. The right/left stock exhaust manifolds were always different. You had the starter on the passenger side, and the steering column on the driver side. Often, the driver side crossed under the tranny to the passenger side. I would expect similar concerns with any vehicle.

Joseph

7. beerbelly