Class I Hitch/Receiver

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 98nd500, Feb 9, 2007.

1. 98nd500

98nd500 Guest

Has anyone had any luck finding a class I or II hitch receiver?

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

They probably make them for your ride. Maybe. Somebody else was looking a while back.

3. Petey

Petey Guest

Try U-Haul. Or look for a place that sells bigger trailers. Heck, if you find a class III, get it. Just remember what your weight limits are and don't over load your pull vehicle.

4. JKG-R500

JKG-R500 In Third Gear

The hitch for a the 72 Torino Wagon will fit the 72 Chero.

5. 98nd500

98nd500 Guest

I went to U-Haul. They were real helpful and called around because their computer said there was no such animal. They found a place to make a class 5 per order to fit, but that is way too big. They also said there were a couple class III's shown to be "SOMEWHERE" and would get back to me. I still have my feelers out.

6. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

I've got one on my 72 I am taking off, max tongue weight 2,000lbs, which I have exceeded. I'll take a couple pics to see what to look for.

7. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Here ya go, is this what ya need?

[​IMG]

8. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Too bad you aren't close to Florida, I've got one on my parts chero...class 1 or 2...dunno which...haven't looked under the rear bumper yet.

I also have one of those old fashioned Clamp-On class one hitches for steel bumpers :D It was in the rigging of one of my boats when I picked them up..I'm gonna save it for posterity :D

9. tully

tully Guest

I got a class 3 hitch for my 68 Ranchero, I found a 2002 four runner hitch and cut about 3 " off each end and then rewelded it back up. and it fit nice.. Told cost $45.00

10. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

And "Dang it",we bent Rustys`hitch th other day,pullin an International S1700 dumptruck...
    I KNOW better than to use a chain!!!
    There ain`t a hitch shop anywhere nearby,or a welding shop that can build you one???

[ February 10, 2007, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: As Is '66 ]

11. krehmkej

krehmkej In Third Gear

Years ago in Georgia, a friend who had a welding shop made a slick class III receiver hitch for my 78. He replaced the rear (light) frame crossmember with the hitch assembly and the receiver is behind the license plate, so it's all hidden. Then I got a hinged license plate bracket at the junkyard. Good to go.

12. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

I had one made. Local welding shop did a custom install of a class III. All the framework is hidden up under the truck. Cost me $300.

13. Shrek

Shrek Guest

And, check yer j-yards...it's amazing what you cn find in one :D

14. Had a shop that specializes in them made a Class 3 for my '72 7 years ago. Works great, looks good! :D
    Jim [​IMG]

15. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

My 73 Gran Torino Sport has a monster hitch on that thing. A welder friend of mine said I could Pull a House down with it, he said the welder did a great job on it. I will probably be cutting it off when I put the car back together. Not too appealing on a Fastback GTS :D

16. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Forgot would they give a listing for a Torino Wagon? I believe they are identicle frame wise so if there was no listing for a Ranchero possibly there would be a listing for a wagon of the same year. Just a thought and it never hurts to ask.

17. 98nd500

98nd500 Guest

Thanks everyone, I'm in touch with a steel fab shop. They feel certain they can help. I like the hinged plate idea. Probably start this project when the weather breaks.

18. Shrek

Shrek Guest

How could a tow bar be unnappealing?? Or maybe I'm just too practical for my own good [​IMG]

19. terry

terry In First Gear

I have one that will fit! And I am in NC