Does a Ranchero need a blower?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Davidpower, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Davidpower

Davidpower In Second Gear

Besides i got some unsolved power problems yet i´m driving toward the idea putting a blower on my 460. Not for pure power, just for added torque: 400 horses will do just i like the idea of 600+ ftlbs. But I fear it won´t look good on a Ranchero. Has anyone pictures of a blown Ranchero? Shure it wont fit under the hood.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Dave I have seen blowers on rancheros from our era (72-76). It doesen't look bad, But it all depends on if you want to do any other type of driving with the car other than racing. Not extactly a set up you want on a car if you get caught in the rain! I am also sure that you would know that your engine should be lower compression ratio (8.5:1 or lower). I think that a good carb or fuel injection set up will give you plenty of low end power, But again that al depends on what your plans are for this ranchero!

3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Blue Thunder Heads, Intake, good cam, good exhaust, carb. You can hit 400 HP N/A.

4. Davidpower

Today i´ve been on a scale and that one shocked me with a 1740 kg (3828 p) reading!and thats still without door glasses, tailgate and bumpers!
    So i would end up at 1850 kg (4070 p) .
    I got one important thing to correct: this car isn´t my grocery getter. Thats way too expensive. I dont want to drive it while raining. Yeeeees the wiper+motor isnt in now and won´t maybe.
    So i could sacrifice lots of daily-usage-needs.
    Dont even use it to haul engine blocks. Therefore i am misusing my grocery getter : a 1995 Mercedes Benz which is a lot cheaper to drive than the Ranchero. But when the street light is going green some German cars should have problems to pass which is quite difficult with cars of 2400 pounds or less with 150 or 200 horses under the hood, not to mention those 4-wheel drive Audi with 400+ horses I will never pass.....buhuhu scream....whine..

5. 351TT

351TT Guest

I'm not saying that you should but you might consider it, ive messed with root style blowers on SBC and BBC they work well but, ive been taking kinda a weird stance on street racing and at the track i see these 4cyl imports with turbos, so i said why not make it a TUNER FORD and ive been making some really good HP with Single and Twin turbos on V8's its not a new thing even on Carborated cars, its nice to have everything under the hood and the sound makes'em think twice when the whin/wiz comes from underneath the hood not to mention the blow off hitting and they look over with a oh shite or what the hell was that look when i spool up. you do half to reduce compression like with any forced induction, and the setup is not that pricey when you compare it to a 6-71 or whatevery you were considering and it is a little harder to put in just because of the fab work with the exhaust piping,but not bad. I like turbo's for these reasons:It fits under the hood, it sounds wicked, and it was almost all rebuild junk yard parts, plus one word intercooler. plus when a import pulls up and i ask what ya got he goes"Turbo with NOS" and i say so do I while i pop the Blow offs a couple times he shuts up pretty fast. you HP gains are around 8-10Hp per PSI of boost and i run anywhere from 12-20psi of boost(non-intercooled) and my turbos already spool up at about 3000-3200rpms and with my torque converter flashing at 3000rpms(to match my cam) that means im adding 120-200HP throught my entire power band, their is alot of good sites that can help just run a search and i know that its been done to 460's too, just a little input i hope what ever you do it works good and keep the chero's running

6. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

Uhh, ATI Procharger. Check em out, all the boost of a 6-71, fits under the hood, and is belt driven. Need I say more?

7. 351TT

351TT Guest

this is true an ATI charger would do the same, I just like to keep it under the hood it keeps the guy next to you guessing, I just like taking junk yard parts and putting them to good use. it easy for me to work with turbo's because i know a guy local who will rebuild'em cheap and i can fab most of my parts, just more simple for me, but ya ATI sounds cool too.

8. Davidpower

Hmmm....I guess adding a turbo costs 6000 $ minimum with intercooler , Haltec controller, new forged pistons for lowering compression and the plumbing and thats only because i could do all the rebuilding and welding and machine work myself.thats damned much ..... or I could sell my rebuilt 460 complete and get another one the build it fresh....or do I need a steel crank too? then its more like 8000 $.....I´ll check out the procharger first...

9. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

You know, the truth is 351TT I am fast-becoming a turbo guy, and I've thought lots of the same things about this tuner sitch. My most current project has been an '86 Mustang which I am building to be an SVO replica. I have the famous German 2.3 turbo from a Mercury Merker, and a T'bird wiring harness mated to a Merker computer I found on ebay in Springfield, MA. Now, I found an '84 SVO for sale in Calgary, which has me stoked because I just took possesion of a new rebuild kit for SVO 2.3's. Decisions, decisions. I want this SVO nearly as much as both of my kidneys, anyone looking?lol,lol. Needless to say I have an itch for spooled boost--and lots of it!
    David, the bad news is while you can probably skimp on the crank(although I suspect your not that type of guy), the Pro is gonna cost ya 6,000 in greenbacked bills plus shipping. That's with intercooler, but still. My friend bought a baby Pro used off a guy in Canada here and says it's twice the machine his Paxton sn-whatever series ever was. His five liter used to scare the crap out of me, and it wasn't just because my friend was driving(although partly). ;) I'll bet Beefcake knows what I am talking about. I wonder if he ever gets it passed 100mph before his passengers try to secretly check if they remembered their seatbelt. :eek:

10. 351TT

351TT Guest

I wasn't saying your were wrong about the procharger my mustang friends live and die by them their good stuff, and price wise try $2,500.00:
    2-T3/T4 stageIII hybrids(rebuilt) $1000.00-online T3's my be a little small but theirs others in the yards too
    1-7.3 turbo diesel intercooler (junkyard)$200.00
    8-Forged pistons (Speed pro) $350-400
    1-pair Shorty headers $300-400
    Intake tubing use PVC pipe for all i care it works
    Exhast tubing your running a wopping 2.5 to 3 foot.
    run your oil lines and coolent lines vacuum hose thats not that much
    who cares about using a Haltec control their good but i dont with no problem
    you may half to hook up one 30lbs fuel injector in some cases but not all.
    i have one with a forged crank one with stock.
    Rods are shot peened and polished, IM NOT SAYING THEIRS ANYTHING WHRONG WITH THE PROGHARGER YOU WILL LIKE IT. But check out the link with both procharged 460 and TT460, make up your own mind but dont think it cost 8000.00 to put turbo's, not to say someone can't dump 8000.00 its very possible. http://www.toohighpsi.com/index.htm

[ June 26, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: 351TT ]

11. 351TT

351TT Guest

Thank you Sask50guy, it seems i take more time defending and educating people then figuring out my own troubleshoots, it floors me to have a guy try to tell me what or what not. I know how much i have in my cars isnt $8500-9000 total for all three two being TT's. Procharger, 6-71's their all good i would be proud to run either, but i like turbos their easy to work on and you can find them in a junk yard, when you find a procharger or a 6-71 in a yard tell me. you do need to run lower compression and forged pistons, hell i know guys getting away with hyperT pistons, i dont like it but its their motor,but you need to do the same thing with a 6-71 or procharger, im just telling the guy whats out their.
    BTW, those baby-charger are cool, real cool

12. sask50guy

sask50guy Guest

That is the bottom line too, I know. I used to work for an autowrecker and he has told me that any turbos in his yard are mine for fifty-bucks each, good or bad because he doesn't sell em, and refuses to warranty em. However, he seldomly has pairs that are good, generally up here turbo cars hit the wrecker and the turbo blew-up years prior and was "swithched" into a low-compression naturally aspirated dog. On the other hand I now own two SVO .63 AR hybrids off Merkers. I hope to use one this summer, but I'm taking some university classes and can't begin my projects until next week. Then I'm going to be a turbo wildman!!! So if I sold you on a supercharger, then you sold me on a turbo. And sorry about the "tuner thing" in the A/C thread.

13. 351TT

351TT Guest

Its ok i thought it was kinda funny funny(tuner thing). i had very good luck with S-charger my first car in High school was a chevy truck with a S-charger. its was already installed when i bought it, so ive never istalled one or looked at new prices, but it was fun ya the old chevy with the vacuum leak, at least that what i told'em HeHe, never had a problem with it good ol truck
    BTW-the SVO .63 Hybrids are very desirable

[ June 26, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: 351TT ]