Engine Build Plan

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by deaconminister, Jul 10, 2014.

1. deaconminister

deaconminister In Fourth Gear

So I tried a 17" Breaker Bar and had no luck. I am going to try someone's 25" breaker bar but if that doesn't work the oil pan will be pulled on Saturday.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Out of curiosity - is there a reason you are waiting to pull the pan?

3. deaconminister

Yeah, it's not on the stand right now and I have to borrow a tractor to pull the pan because I have yet to drain the oil. Out of convenience I would just rather have it on the stand before I start tearing into it.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The oil will drain right out if you tip the engine over.

5. 72GTVA

uhhhh, ...I don't think he wants a mess in his yard...

6. deaconminister

It's in my shed right now which serves as my "shop". It isn't fun getting it in and out either since the shed is about 24" off the ground. But your definitely right that I don't want the oil to spill out on the floor.

7. ribald1

Sorry.
    It didn't occur to me that someone might just dump the oil on the ground or the floor.
    I guess it doesn't pay to assume people will thing things through before they do something.:oops:

8. 72GTVA

A lot of us have trouble with the "thing things"... :D

9. deaconminister

I tell you nothing surprises me when it comes to people and thinking. One of the biggest issues we had at the last church I worked at was people changing their oil in the back parking lot and their oil being left in the parking lot and our drain.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Stupid morons. In all the times I've used an unoccupied parking lot to do any car work, I've never left any garbage or dumped any fluids. It's no wonder people freak when they catch someone on their property doing car work.

11. deaconminister

So I have good and bad news. The good news is with the help of a pipe and a pull bar we were able to move the crank shaft. The bad news is we didn't move it too far because the pistons were not moving. I ended up not getting the tractor last Saturday because we had a great day to go fishing. I figured it would be best to do something that saved us some money and put some flounder in the freezer. My wife is out of town this week so I hope to start the process of draining the oil and pulling the pan before she gets back but that is now up in the air because I had a member die Sunday Night and will be doing a funeral this week. Meanwhile I have poured some Mystery Oil in the Cylinders for the time being. I haven't given up yet, I just never would have imagined getting started would be this difficult.

12. ribald1

Lack proper of equipment and tooling is a hurdle alright.