ignition problem

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Brian Engel, May 5, 2008.

1. Brian Engel

Brian Engel In Second Gear

About ten minutes ago my chero just went dead, lots of gas but no spark? can anyone help me out it's a mallory ignition:confused:

2. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Look for a kill switch under the dash.:eek:

3. Brian Engel

hehe yes that could be a solution but I have been driving in it for a couple of days without problems:confused:

4. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Check out if its a positive current to it, measure the voltage, if none try to provide directly from batt. just to test it, you can test the coil by 1 from the Pos. to the coil han just hit it with the neg. on the terminal if its a spark its ok if not its the coil. I've done it a few times, remember i'm riding a Harley :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Pimpcher075

Pimpcher075 In Third Gear

check ur spark plug wire from middle of distributor to coil

6. Brian Engel

checked all your advise no kill switch, no broken fuses and it looks like it's the coil, no spark in the center wire from the coil:(, thanks for your help

7. GregoryM

GregoryM In Fourth Gear

The coil may be OK. You do not identify what type of "Mallory" ignition you have. The defect could be there.

8. Brian Engel

I'm not sure all I know is that it's electronic, maybe this pic can clarify that [​IMG]

9. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Get a test light. Attach ground lead to bare meal ground, insert probe in the negative, or 'tach test' lead. Crank the engine, and see if light flashes. If light flashes, or no solid light, replace coil. Solid light, not flashing-module or pickup in distributor, distributor cap, or rotor. Rotor is most likely culprit. JD

10. Brian Engel

found out what model it is, it's a mallory unilite and I think it's the ignition module that's burned out:(, thanks for your help guys:)