My 1976 Learning Project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by deaconminister, Jan 14, 2014.

1. deaconminister

deaconminister In Fourth Gear

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I think the part at your link above will work OK. If your motor has the large distributor cap [Duraspark] then it's possible it would interfere with that. Height will probably be OK if you don't have extra spacers under your carb.

You can figure out with a tape measure about the distributor interference -- swing a 7" radius around the center bolt in your carb that holds the cleaner on.

The center hole in the baseplate is the standard size, will fit any Ford / Holley / Edelbrock carb.

3. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

Here is a photo of my 75, in its original spot.
    [​IMG]

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looks "off" to me (high) but I think it is in the correct location - so based on Franmosso's post, disregard my thought that it was a little high...:oops:

5. deaconminister

I thought it was high as well but in comparison it is in the right position. Thanks for the help. I will pick up an Air cleaner today, I just couldn't get a clear answer from the people at the store.

6. deaconminister

The new Air Cleaner is on but I have a good amount of stuff to do tonight. I have to attach the rear view mirror, install new "cheap" speakers, new radiator cap, new window crank, figure out what's wrong with the turn signals, and put the last coat of paint on the bed.

I do have another question; I sprayed it off today and realized there that water was draining into the cab from the bed. I proceeded to look in the passenger side corner of the bed and realized there is a perfect hole there. Is there a drainage system in the bed that I am missing a line on or something? Thanks.

7. 72GTVA

It is a hole that doesn't belong there, fill it with an automotive seam sealer until you can tackle it when you weld in the repair panels in the other parts of the bed.

8. deaconminister

Ok, what's crazy is it is a perfect circle hole that was drilled, not a rust hole at all.

9. 72GTVA

Someone probably thought they'd make a drain (there isn't one designed in the '72-'79 year groups) - so they drilled a bleepin' hole and it drains into the cubby. It could cost you the floor pans if it is there for very long.

Either that or they mounted something in the bed and now you are stuck with a hole...

10. deaconminister

Yeah, the floor pans are long gone, between that hole and the window leaks I have some work ahead of me. I just keep telling myself one step at a time.

11. deaconminister

The hole is temporarily repaired, turn signal are all working, speakers replaced but radio is only putting out static, all of the other fuses checked, new radiator cap, and last coat of paint on the bed. It was a very successful hour.

12. 72GTVA

I wonder if the tuner is working... might be time for one of the retro-sound radios when you accumulate enough nickles.

13. deaconminister

Sadly you might be right. I am going to pull it out sometime and make sure there is a good connection from the antenna.

14. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Wow lots of progress. Good job! It looks like you got all of your questions answered. Just FYI the 3" diameter for the inlet size on the carburetor is fairly standard. The only thing that an aftermarket air cleaner may not have is places for vacuum hoses and emissions stuff.

Laters,
    Jeff

15. deaconminister

I spoke with a buddy at a body shop and he said he could undercoat the vehicle for me. They start by pressure washing, then ospho, and finish with duplicolor bed liner. He is willing to do all of it for $150 including the materials. This was something I was going to do myself but the materials alone was probably going to push $100, so I may take home up on it since I don't have a lift.
    Does this sound like as good of a deal as I think it does?

16. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

That sounds like a great deal to me! Ask him how he will prep the Ospho surface once it is dried. A couple of people at the shop have used it and said that it can leave a greyish residue that needs to be cleaned with simple soap and water before painting.

Laters,
    Jeff

17. deaconminister

Ok, great. I have ordered weather stripping for the roof rails and then after my charger gets fixed (backed into at a reception so the ranchero will be the daily driver for a week) I am gutting the interior to replace the floorpans/ sand rust. After the needed floorpans are replaced I will get the vehicle under coated, originally was going to get it under coated this week but I would hate to do it and then replace some floorpans.

18. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Ah replacing floor pans, I have heard about that somewhere :D. Yeah that is a good thought on waiting for the undercoating. You may want to wait until all the repairs on the bed are done as well.

Laters,
    Jeff

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you've done a nice job replacing the floor, why undercoat it? That's how we'd cover up half ass floor repairs using license plates and such, back in high school.

20. deaconminister

I want to undercoat it because of living on the coast and having the ranchero parked in the yard. I figure any protection I can have helps. It's actually pretty common around here for people to undercoat their trucks.