Restoring the 75

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 75 Squire, Apr 14, 2008.

1. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

Ya the shop where I got that done are top notch. Also top dollar but its worth it. Gonna probably swtich over to the Crites shorties, these long tubes are taking a real beating. That and I want to drop the front about 1 1/2 to 2 inchs and make a air dam for the car. Should look cool plus i hope it improves the gas milage.

2. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

wow after attacking those bruts... terrorists should be nothing :D....

looks like too much work but you are doing an awesome job

3. 75 Squire

Just a quick update today. I got the engine off the frame and most of the stuff I am going to transfer over. Should be late next week end or the first thing 4th of July weekend when I drop the body back down. I think I can say I am approaching the half way point in the journey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ever growing pile of parts to be moved around. Hopefully this pile will get smaller int he coming weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  4. 75 Squire

Just to give you a idea of the damage to my frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its just not the extension for the bumper thats been bent. The damage extends up though the control arm mounting points and then back to the straight portion. The seam between the upper and lower portions has opend up. If this is what happend to my car imagine what would have happend to a modern car. I can not believe I have a body left to salvage. Oh well live and learn.

5. NsOaklandR6

NsOaklandR6 In Third Gear

NICE JOB!

I was originally just going to ask you how do I go about taking the front clip/end off ( like where do I start, bumper?) and I still am asking that.

But after having another look at your pics I think I might be insane enough to try taking the body off in my carport lol. I'd have to have shorter wood and stands so it wouldn't reach into the next stall but It might be possible. I wondered what you used to pick the body up, now that I see it's a regular cherry picker I think with my neighbor gon to work in either stall next to me, I can get the cherry picker behind it from the side Like you did. I'd only have it off the frame for a day or 2. I would love to paint the frame and under body. I was thinking about just jacking it up and paint or have painted whatever visible.

So are any of the body bolts hard to get too or are they all pretty much out in the open?

Can you take some pics of a couple of body bolts and some close ups of what exactly you have the cherry picker chained to, to lift in the front and back?

Are those single 2x4's:eek: I'd have to at least double them up (nail 2 together), even though it's probably pretty stable I would be worried, I have a bit of a under car phobia anyway.

Did you have to use a impact gun to get the bolts off or just a nice sized wrench/breaker bar?

Sorry for all the questions lol, any info would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  6. 75 Squire

Not much happened today. I was having issues with the engine not lining up with the new frame. Well turns out the drivers side mount was hased in the crash as well. Pulled out a spare I had lying around a voila everything lines up. I also spent some time painting the frame and selecting the best body bushing between the two cars to use on the good frame. SHould be fun tomarrow, gonna try and get the body lowered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Great job! You are moving along quite a bit faster than I. Good luck you doing good man.

8. 75 Squire

Well I am over the hump now. I got the body lowered into position today. Granted its not bolted down yet but the car is now moveable. Absolutly no drama when I was lowereing. Just hooked her up and down she went. If I work hard next weekend Im might even get around to firing the engine off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 75 Squire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the butt shot.

[​IMG]

10. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Looking good!
    Are you going to use the '73 front end or the '75 front end?

11. 75 Squire

Its going to be the 73's for right now. The 75's was hashed in the crash. I am in the market for a 74-75 grill and bumper and a 73-76 Squire drivers side fender.

12. trikar

I will let you know if I come across a '74-75 Grille.
    There are a couple of 74-76 at U&I that still have the bumpers but the grilles are gone.

13. 75 Squire

Oh I also need the 74-76 header panel.

14. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

Squire, what did you use to lower the body back onto the frame?

15. 75 Squire

16. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

I saw that post after i wrote this question.

17. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

great work Squire!! amazingly fast progress

18. 75 Squire

Not much to report today. I managed to get the hydro boost hooked up again, had to dig around in my O-ring kit to find the correct ones to replace the broken ones. Also got the alernator remounted and the radiator bolted in and hooked up. And finally I hung the inner and outter fenders. Nothing is tightned down yet as I still need to get the front body mounts bolted in. So from the looks of it I will be taking a "test" driver next week end. MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Open headers and back country roads YEEEHAAA!!!! Still need to remount the gas tank, was going to today but decided to hold out for a new tank vent. Throw that up next week end and bolt down the front of the body and align and tighten the fenders and I should be ready to fire the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. trikar

Both front fenders on the '75 were damaged?

20. justme

justme In Second Gear

Title issue

You need to keep the titles for both cars and at some point contact your DMV about the car and frame numbers no longer matching. They may need to issue a VIN number to your car. If the car was stolen or some other reason for them to look at the frame numbers you would have a real issue getting the car back. Just a thought. Have run into this on several frame swaps.