White Face Gauges

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by HuevosRanchero, Mar 5, 2008.

1. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

dang rite. There is a 2 week rule...after that plausible deniability comes into play. :D

2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Let me know, otherwise I will just buy another set. Thanks

3. john777

john777 In Overdrive

HR's letter came today and the white was installed, thank you sir...
    The tach and clock come back from the repair shop tomorrow and I will do them next.
    What kind of paint should I use on the red needles? They have faded pretty bad...

4. HuevosRanchero

rule of thumb is usually testors model paint signal red...

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

They had all kinds of testors red....no "signal"
    I got a bottle of "1152 met. red rouge met."

Tested some needles I won't be using....

6. HuevosRanchero

bummer..they've made it complicated! Guess its been a while since I bought model paint..

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

8. HuevosRanchero

9. john777

john777 In Overdrive

10. HuevosRanchero

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

One of the brake lights is almost surely a signal from the so-called proportioning valve. Pull that wire loose at the valve and see if the bulb goes out? Ground it, and the bulb should come on. Connected normally and working right, it means the brake pressure pedal-down is not balanced right between front and rear.

Some cars will also have a handbrake-on signal -- dunno about yours, but someone else will.

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

The brake warning (proportioning valve warning) is in the speedometer on both the GT dash and the Conventional Dash. The GT dash "Park" lights to the right of the gauge group is a parking brake warning, fed from either an auxilliary harness specific to the parking brake assembly -OR- from the visibility group harness if present. The parking brake switch is extremely simple and could be "stuck".

Was the gauge package original to the car or did someone add it? Are the leads on the wires green with some kind of red stripe or hash type tracer marking or purple with white tracer markings? Green/Red is parking brake warning, Purple/White is proportioning valve warning. Other color combinations are something else. Tell us what color the wires are and that can help us help you isolate the issue.

Edited to add: The Purple/White stripe proportioning valve warning light wiring terminates in the dash cluster printed circuit connector thence to the light in the speedometer, there is no independent bulb-socket-pigtail assembly for the actual "Brake" warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  13. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Prior to install. We never figured out the other light....With the clock, I just cut a radius line in the decal and never removed the hands....

[​IMG]

14. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

Nice job John, I orderd mine last week along with some high output LEDs. My gauge panel should be a little easier, I hope in the fact that I don't have the GT style cluster, don't really know why seeing the fact that mine is a74 GT. Was this a real difficult job? I was thinking of saving it for a winter project when I am board and won't be as likely to rush it. Also if I get into trouble with it maybe 72VAGT would let me ride down to visit him.
    TomH

15. HuevosRanchero

nice job John! It really makes a difference in readability when driving

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Save it for the winter and start with the easy guages first....it took a few hours, but once you get the hang of it, there is no problem.

17. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Sir, Thank you for all your time and help with this little project...

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome to come down when you wish. Either cluster could be ordered with any version although most GT's came with them gauge cluster. It could have been that a PO was having problems with his and converted to the standard cluster to resolve whatever issue he had. More likely the car was ordered with the "idiot light" option.

19. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

Thanks 72GTVA, You the man, My next question, when doing this gauge/dial conversion & adding LEDs, is there a way you can test the dash lights prior to hooking it back into the dash. I know LEDs have a polarity issue and sometimes they have to be turned around in the socket. I know you did an excellent post on the cluster dash, but mine just has the 3 large dials and 2 small dials for fuel & temp. and I understand that there is some difference in the wiring.
    Thanks way way in advance
    TomH

20. john777

john777 In Overdrive

New Dash, Tilt Columnm, and guages....its nice having clock and tac working!

[​IMG]