distributor stuck!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

This is gonna' sound stupid but , anyone on here ever try pouring a bit of Pepsi Cola or Coke around a distributor base ? Or for that even Hydrogen Peroxide ? I have seen all three used to un-stick locked up lawn mower engines.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ya know, those o-rings usually shrink with age when they have never been replaced; I would think that the pen oil's slipped by and has been eating away at the crud these past couple weeks. I would think it's gotta be loose enough to carefully grab the base with channel locking pliers and get it to at least move a little each way. If the A/C compressor tensioner pulley and bracket are in the way, unbolt them, it'll give you better access to the base.

3. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Dan, have you tried plain old vinegar? I removed a completely rusted in hitch that way, got a plastic tub supported under it so it was submerged, filled it full of vinegar and let it sit for two weeks! When i came back to it, i could see daylight through the sides of the hitch tube as the vinegar has dissolved all the rust and corrosion, so i ended up just sawzalling it off. Although in your case i would be worried about the vinegar entering the motor.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] IMG-20190601-WA0002.jpg IMG-20190601-WA0000.jpg

4. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

You know I would think so too. But that is not the case. I am able to get a 3 ft pry bar on this thing in a real nice sweet spot and the body of the distributor will twist and the base stays put!

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Dan can you get a long drift punch down to the base ? If so try turn by punching the base around both directions. the shock should help break it lose.

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Have a good look at the DS II and the way the cap/adapter attaches, I believe what I was trying to convey(I do have a hard time explaining things) will be a bit easier to understand. Andy, Thank you for accepting my apology. I strive to give correct info, but there are times that goes out the window.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

But moving only the cap will NOT change when the signal to send the spark is done by the relationship of the pickup and reluctor in the distributor body. It would only serve to change the position of the cap in relation to the rotor, which cannot alter the timing.

The Wrench likes this.
  8. Dan the ranchero man

I will give that a try. Should have something around here I can sharpen/put a point on and use.

9. pmrphil

Not a point, blunt ended would work better.

10. Dan the ranchero man

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes that why I said drift punch

12. Dan the ranchero man

OOPS! that was my fault talking about putting a point on something to do this task. (My bad)

13. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I raid my vampire kit and use an old, flat oak stake. The Cross, rosary, mirror, sunlight, silver bullets are options for what happens later.

Operative here is using a piece of hardwood such as a dowel or such to impart the "shock" to get a little movement. Have bad better luck than I probably deserve just driving the dizzy back and forth at where the vacuum advance attaches to the distributor. I've been fairly aggressive but not overly so and the wood typically has kept the potential bad stuff one can imagine from actually occurring.

FWIW - YMMV

pmrphil and Hillbilly like this.
  14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Maybe a chain wrench??

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 2.35.06 PM.png

15. Dan the ranchero man

I have a strap wrench at work. Might find a new home for one weekend.......

16. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

17. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

If the top is moving I would worry about twisting that sucker off. Could you rig something like a ball joint spreader to separate the dizzy up from the block? I don't know what tools you have but I think you may even be able to remake a strut compressor into a "spreader" of sorts. Might take a while if "shocking" the base with a dead blow doesn't work.

18. Dan the ranchero man

Tried the peice of hardwood and it just splintered up. Next a 1ft peice of 1/2 inch steel rod with a blunt end and was doing serious damage to the casting so I stopped. Sprayed more penetrating oil on it and called it a night. I like the spreader idea but limited space might be an issue. But hey if I stare at it long enough maybe can figure something out.

19. pmrphil

The serious damage you were inflicting at least means you were shocking it. Was this down on the base where the hold down clamp is? I'd beat that ring mercilessly in every direction possible. You DO already have a replacement distributor, right? :rolleyes: It will take a lot of work to loosen the grip the corrosion has on the distributor body.

20. Dan the ranchero man

At this point I have to just let it be until spring. I need the car to run and because I have the other cars in the barn and in storage. Yes, another dizzy is available but again I don't want it to break in a way that will cause me to go deep into the engine.