'79 Rear panel

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Matt, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Matt

Matt In Second Gear

So I ordered a new rear compartment panel, the nice black with the flaps at the bottom and it's different....this is my second time doing a '79 and years ago, roughly around 2004 I did the last one. I ordered same part, and it came with the kick out at the top. It kicks out, then a flat section where the screw goes then kicks back in. But this one I just got was just flat. not sure what good that does me.. double checked I ordered the same one, and I did. Anyone experience this problem? got it from Dearborn classics. planning to call tommorow morning.

2. bobw79Ranchero

bobw79Ranchero In First Gear

I never found one when I wanted to replace it so I made mine....I bought heavy poster board from a drafting store that sold them to architects etc and cut mine from the old one and folded it to fit. I stapled the bottom part made of material to the board using a black and decker industrial stapler I bought at Home Depot for about $10.00 and painted it all one color..its been on my car at least 18 years w/o problems

3. Matt

Matt In Second Gear

yeah I wish I still had my old one. unfortunately I chucked it in the trash when I gutted the interior cause the last one I ordered from the same site was perfect. lesson learned lol it's ridiculous they're trying to pass this off as a part though, it doesn't even begin to fit.

4. bobw79Ranchero

bobw79Ranchero In First Gear

I have had mixed results w/Dearborn Classics. I bought a sending unit from them and it was ok but the lock ring was junk and I had to "modify" it. They don't sell many interior parts for a 77-79 that are hard to find anyway. They quit selling floats and I had to buy one from another site. The ethanol eats floats and I learned to use Stabil. I had no idea they even sold the package compartment so I learned something from your experience with it. Maybe you can secure one from a yard that's beaten up on the top but still has good material on the bottom and color it if its not black like you have. Would be interested in your resolve to this. BobW

5. Matt

Matt In Second Gear

Yeah that's what I think I'm going to end up doing, hopefully I can find one. if not I can make this one work with many sheet metal screws, it just sucks knowing how it's suppose to and should look. Maybe they sent me a defect? haha. I am with you on the mixed results. I ordered carpet, headliner, scuff plates, some screws, compartment panel, few other pieces ( all said in stock and ships within a day) and I got all the little stuff 3 days later, the carpet was drop shipped that came about 4 days later and the headliner is still MIA 2 weeks now. I called and they said to expect 40-50 days for arrival. I was like but the site said ships out within a day, she goes yeah I know but this is drop ship blah blah blah, but magically she made a phone call and told me that my headliner would ship out the next day. it's been 3 days since that, so maybe this week it'll show up?

6. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Took my "new" panel to the upholstery shop - and they threw it out! Shop made me a quality replacement.

7. Matt

Matt In Second Gear

Just got off the phone and they said I possibly got a defect but I need to pay the shipping back to them? on top of the oversize charge I already paid. once they received it they'll let me know. what good is that? so I'm atleast 3 weeks without this part now.

8. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It's not likely that Dearborn will come up with a replacement that is much better. Instead of paying to ship it back, I would suggest doing what Clark did: take it (and your Ranchero) to a trim shop and let them use it as a pattern/prototype for a proper panel made with quality materials.

9. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

Had one made out of plastic, painted black. Same plastic that you see on golf car windshields.